Begin your Health and Human Services career or major at Black Hawk College
The Health and Human Services Department at Black Hawk College offers a variety of health career programs as well as career and transfer options in education and criminal justice.
Health and Human Services Careers
Students enrolled in Health and Human Services programs and courses go on to many different careers:
- Physical therapist assistants
- Teachers and day care workers
- Surgical technologists
- Criminal justice professionals
They go on to work in hospitals, schools, nursing homes, physicians’ offices, or community agencies. These programs can also provide the foundation for further education in this large and exciting field.
Areas of Focus
Students planning to transfer can prepare for their health and human services majors at BHC. Here are a few sample transfer plans:
Where do you want to transfer?
If you already have a transfer school in mind, your advisor will customize a transfer plan for that college or university. BHC also has many transfer guides and agreements already established with four-year institutions in a variety of majors.
Many programs have internships that allow and encourage you to get involved in the community and experience immediate hands-on application of what you are learning in the classroom. In addition, BHC has state-of-the-art facilities that offer hands-on learning in specialized fields.
- Health Sciences Center – Three-story facility with eight highly specialized labs.
- Forensics lab
Student Clubs and Events
Here are just a few of the student clubs and events going on at the Quad-Cities Campus.
- BHC 5K Hustle
- Health Career Exploration Days
- Phi Theta Kappa Honor Society
- The Black Hawk College Foundation has many scholarships for students studying health and human services. These and many others can be found at the BHC scholarships page.
- BHC Presidential Scholarship: In-district high school seniors in the top 10% of their graduating class at the end of seven semesters are eligible for the Black Hawk College Presidential Scholars Award.
- Transfer scholarships are also available at many transfer institutions.
Career and Transfer Program Information
If you plan to go right into the workforce after graduation, you can earn a certificate or Associate in Applied Science degree by enrolling in one of the career programs offered through the department. If you plan to transfer to a four-year institution, you can earn an Associate in Arts or Associate in Science degree.