BEGIN YOUR ENGLISH MAJOR AT BLACK HAWK COLLEGE
The English and Reading Department offers a variety of courses that will satisfy the first two years of study at many 4-year institutions. No matter what your focus area, faculty and advisers work with you to create a transfer plan to the school of your choice.
Areas of Focus
BHC students transfer into many majors to complete a bachelor’s degree. Here are a few sample transfer plans:
Where do you want to transfer?
If you already have a transfer school in mind, your adviser will customize a transfer plan for that college or university. BHC also has many transfer guides and agreements already established with 4-year institutions in a variety of majors.
Transfer Guides and Agreements »
Students taking courses in the English and Reading Department go on to careers in many fields, such as writing, editing and journalism.
Almost all students need to take an English class while they are at Black Hawk College. The department also offers interesting electives that could be transferable to a four-year school.
Faculty serve as advisers for several clubs, which offer students opportunities for field trip and campus events.
- Writers Guild
- Sigma Kappa Delta English Honor Society
- Phi Theta Kappa Honor Society
- BHC Presidential Scholarship: In-district high school seniors in the top 10% of their graduating class at the end of seven semesters are eligible for the Black Hawk College Presidential Scholars Award.
- Other BHC scholarship opportunities can be found at the BHC scholarships page.
- Transfer scholarships are also available at many transfer institutions.
Associate Degree Information
|Associate in Science||1545||64||Communication, Humanities and LanguageEnglish and ReadingMathematicsNatural Science & Engineering|
|Associate in Arts||1045||64||Art, Design and Performing ArtsCommunication, Humanities and LanguageEnglish and ReadingMathematicsNatural Science & Engineering|