The Assistant Teacher Certificate is designed to prepare individuals to be an assistant teacher in child development care center and/or preschool setting. The certificate will provide 18 hours credit toward an A.A.S. degree in Child Development as well as the coursework to equal a Gateways Level 2 credential.
Students who complete this program will be able to:
- Apply knowledge of developmental theories and domains using research-based child development milestone indicators.
- Demonstrate knowledge of developmentally appropriate health, safety, and nutrition activities.
- Apply knowledge of the role of the environment and importance of relationships in guiding children’s behavior.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the role and influence of families, culture, and communities in children’s development and learning.
- Demonstrate their knowledge of professionalism through teaching disposition evaluations and development of their own philosophy of education.
Course (Credit Hours):
ECE 100 Introduction to Early Childhood (3)
ECE 200 Growth and Development of Young Children (3)
ECE 201 Health, Safety and Nutrition (3)
ECE 203 Curriculum for Early Childhood Programs (3)
ECE 222 Child, Family, Community (3)
ECE 224 Methods of Guiding Child Behavior (3)
Minimum total hours required for degree: 18