Begin your art or music major or career at black Hawk College
The Art, Design and Performing Arts Department at the Quad-Cities Campus offers students an opportunity to prepare for a career in art or music or to enrich their academic experiences with electives or performance groups.
Areas of Focus
Many BHC students transfer into art and music majors to complete a bachelor’s degree. Here are a few sample transfer plans:
Art (including Graphic Design)
Music (Performance or Education)
Where do you want to transfer?
If you already have a transfer school in mind, your advisor will customize a transfer plan for that college or university. BHC also has many transfer guides and agreements already established with four-year institutions in a variety of majors.
Transfer Guides and Agreements »
Art and Music-Related Careers Students who study music performance, theory or the music industry, or learn art and design skills while developing a professional portfolio go on to careers in dozens of fields, including education, recording, publishing, museums, photography and multimedia.
Studios, practice rooms and digital facilities offer hands-on learning in vocal and instrumental music, drawing, ceramics, digital art and video.
Endless opportunities to get involved for majors and non-majors
There is something for any student no matter what the skill level or interest!
- Vocal and instrumental ensembles
- Trips to Chicago museums and art galleries every fall and spring semester.
- Dozens of concerts, recitals and festivals throughout the year by students and visiting artists.
- Art Space Gallery: Black Hawk College hosts monthly exhibits by local, regional and national artists in its ArtSpace Gallery in Building 4. At the end of the academic year, ArtSpace is reserved for our Student Art Show. BHC students submit artworks that are judged by a local professional artist.
ArtFusion is produced every other year by and for the students of Black Hawk College. From essays to digital drawing to photography and painting, student works are featured throughout a professionally formatted and published magazine.
Vocal and Instrumental Ensembles
- Jazz Band
- Concert Choir
- Chamber Singers
- Community Chorale
- Community Band
- Community Orchestra
- Community Big Band
- Achievement Awards can reduce cost of attendance by earning up to 12 credit waivers each semester.
– Music Achievement Award Application
– Art Achievement Award (contact faculty)
- BHC Presidential Scholarship: In-district high school seniors in the top 10% of their graduating class at the end of seven semesters are eligible for the Black Hawk College Presidential Scholars Award.
- Other BHC scholarship opportunities can be found at the BHC scholarships page.
- Transfer scholarships are also available at many transfer institutions.
Career and Transfer Program Information