Begin your art or music major or career at black Hawk College
The Art, Design and Performing Arts Department at the Quad-Cities Campus offers programs for students to prepare for a career or major in art or music. The department also offers electives and performance groups for non-majors.
Areas of Focus for transfer students
If you plan to transfer into an art or music major to complete a bachelor’s degree, here are a few sample transfer plans:
Art (including Graphic Design) (PDF)
Music (Performance or Education) (PDF)
Music (Therapy) (PDF)
Music (Business) (PDF)
Where do you want to transfer?
If you have a transfer school in mind, your advisor will customize a transfer plan for that college or university. BHC also has many transfer guides and agreements already established with four-year institutions in a variety of majors.
Transfer Guides and Agreements »
Art and Music-Related Careers Students who study music performance, theory or the music industry, or learn art and design skills while developing a professional portfolio go on to careers in dozens of fields, including education, recording, publishing, museums, photography and multimedia.
Studios, practice rooms and digital facilities offer hands-on learning in vocal and instrumental music, drawing, ceramics, digital art and video.
Opportunities for majors and non-majors
- Vocal and instrumental ensembles
- Trips to Chicago museums and art galleries
- Concerts, recitals and festivals by students and visiting artists
- ArtSpace Gallery: Monthly exhibits by local, regional and national artists. At the end of the academic year, ArtSpace is reserved for our Student Art Show. BHC students submit artworks that are judged by a local professional artist.
ArtFusion is produced every other year by and for the students of Black Hawk College. Essays, digital drawing, photography, painting and other student works are featured in this student-designed and professionally-published magazine.
Vocal and Instrumental Ensembles
- Jazz Band
- Concert Choir
- Chamber Singers
- Community Chorale
- Community Band
- Community Orchestra
- Community Big Band
- Achievement Awards can reduce cost of attendance by earning up to 12 credit waivers each semester.
– Music Achievement Award Application
– Art Achievement Award Application
- BHC Presidential Scholarship: In-district high school seniors in the top 10% of their graduating class at the end of seven semesters are eligible.
- Other BHC scholarship opportunities
- Scholarships are also available at many transfer institutions.
Career and Transfer Program Information