Printable version: New Student Checklist (PDF)
Things to do
Step 1: Apply
- Apply for admission.
- Pay $20 application fee.
- Look for your welcome letter in 1-2 business days at the email address you provided on the application.
- Send official transcripts from your high school and/or previous college.
- Send placement scores from another school or ACT/SAT test scores (taken within the last two years).
- Apply for financial aid at www.fafsa.gov. BHC’s school code is 001638. FAFSA is available December 2023 for the following fall semester. Get more information about Financial Aid.
Step 2: Log into myBlackHawk
- Reference the welcome letter for myBlackHawk login instructions.
- Access myBlackHawk through the BHC website or myblackhawk.bhc.edu.
- Login questions? Contact the ITS Help Desk at 309-796-5555 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Step 3: Begin Hawk’s Journey
- Access Hawk’s Journey, your individualized guide for success, on the Student tab in myBlackHawk.
- Use Hawk’s Journey to do the following:
- Determine if you need to complete the placement test.
- Prepare to meet with an advisor.
Step 4: Work with an Advisor and Register
- Create your schedule and register with the help of an advisor.
- Visit Advising for more information or call to schedule an appointment: East Campus: 309-854-1709 | Quad-Cities Campus: 309-796-5100
Step 5: Pay Tuition
- Access the Student Billing tab in myBlackHawk to check payment options, due dates, pay online or set up deferred payment.
- Contact Career Services to explore jobs.
- Apply for a BHC Foundation scholarship (March 15-June 1).
Get prepared for the first week of classes
- Check your myBlackHawk email frequently for important messages.
- Access Hawk’s Journey to view the calendar where important dates and deadlines are noted as well as additional information regarding the remaining items.
- Get your Black Hawk College Library Card at the Quad-Cities Campus or East Campus libraries.
- Use your library card for free unlimited Metro Link rides.
- Order books online.
- Pick up books at the Quad-Cities Campus in the Hawk’s Hub in Building 1 or at the East Campus Bookstore in Building A.
- Purchase a permit for $25 at the BHC Police Department at either campus, the Bursar’s Office at the Quad-Cities Campus or Enrollment Services at the East Campus. Summers and minimesters are free.
- If you are using financial aid to buy your parking permit, pick up a voucher at the Hawk’s Hub or the East Campus Bookstore.
- Connect with students, faculty and staff to learn about support resources on campus.
- Visit www.bhc.edu/orientation to sign up.
- Learn more about clubs, organizations and events on campus by stopping by the Student Life Office at the Quad-Cities Campus in Building 4 or the Advising Center at the East Campus in Building A.
- Visit www.bhc.edu/studentlife for more information.
Registration begins in April.
Apply and start financial aid October-January.
Registration begins in April.
Apply and start financial aid January-March.
Registration begins in November.
Apply and start financial aid September-October.