BEGIN YOUR AGRICULTURE MAJOR OR CAREER AT BLACK HAWK COLLEGE
To meet the demands of an ever-changing agriculture industry, the Agriculture Department offers a variety of career and transfer programs to ensure students are prepared with advanced training and ready to transfer to a four-year institution or enter the workforce.
Start here, transfer anywhere
If you already have a transfer school in mind, your adviser will customize a transfer plan for that college or university. BHC also has many transfer guides and agreements already established with 4-year institutions in a variety of ag-related majors.
Transfer Guides and Agreements »
Our graduates hold positions in agribusiness management, crop and livestock production, veterinary clinics and hospitals, and ag equipment dealerships. They are mechanics, farm operators, herdsmen, riding instructors and horse trainers.
BHC’s East Campus has specialized ag facilities, including an agricultural mechanics lab, equine facility, greenhouse and veterinary hospital.
Students complete two internships as part of the Associate in Applied Science degree. Black Hawk College also offers internships to students in an ag education/FFA program as part of the Growing Agriculture Science Teachers Grant through the Illinois State Board of Education.
Faculty emphasize hands-on instruction in all coursework. Instructional labs are held off-site in many courses to keep learning connected to a changing industry.
- Crops & Soils Judging Team
- Horse Judging Team
- Intercollegiate Horse Show Association (IHSA) Team
- Livestock Judging Team
- Agribusiness Club
- Auto/Ag Mechanics Club
- Horticulture Club
- Sci Pi Club
- BHC Presidential Scholarship: In-district high school seniors in the top 10% of their graduating class at the end of seven semesters are eligible for the Black Hawk College Presidential Scholars Award.
- Other scholarship opportunities can be found at the BHC scholarships page. A number of faculty-chosen ag and equine scholarships are also available.
- Transfer scholarships are also available at many transfer institutions.
Special events on campus:
- Ag Visit Days
- FFA judging and leadership contests
- Roping and barrel racing clinics
- Speed Show Series
Career and Transfer Program Information
If you plan to go right into the workforce after graduation, you can earn a certificate or Associate in Applied Science degree by enrolling in one of the career programs offered through the department. Students who plan to transfer to a university can earn an Associate Degree.