Begin your science major at Black Hawk College
The Natural Sciences and Engineering Department offers a variety of science courses that will satisfy the first two years of study at many four-year institutions. No matter what your focus area, faculty and advisors work with you to create a transfer plan to the school of your choice.
Areas of Focus
BHC students transfer into many science majors to complete a bachelor’s degree. Here are a few sample transfer plans:
Biological Sciences (PDF)
Pre-Physical Therapy (PDF)
Pre-Veterinary Medicine (PDF)
Where do you want to transfer?
If you already have a transfer school in mind, your advisor will customize a transfer plan for that college or university. BHC also has many transfer guides and agreements already established with four-year institutions in a variety of majors.
Transfer Guides and Agreements »
Students taking courses in the Natural Sciences and Engineering Department go on to careers in many fields, such as agriculture, animal science, engineering, health administration, medicine, molecular genetics, nursing, chiropractic, pharmacy, physical therapy, physician assistant and veterinary medicine.
State-of-the-art laboratory facilities offer hands-on learning in chemistry, engineering and biology.
- Specialized laboratory spaces and equipment.
- Grow room and outdoor learning spaces.
- Scanning electron microscope.
- Chemical analysis instruments.
- Molecular biology equipment.
- Science Resources Lab with microscopes, models, computers and tutoring available from faculty members.
In addition to chemistry, biology and physics, we offer elective courses in nutrition or astronomy that can fulfill degree requirements.
Faculty serve as advisors for science-related clubs, which offer students opportunities for field trip and campus events.
- Clean Sphere Environmental Club – Quad-Cities Campus
- Sci Pi Club – East Campus
- Phi Theta Kappa Honor Society
- Natural Sciences & Engineering Scholarship: This scholarship was established by faculty in the Black Hawk College Natural Sciences and Engineering Department for science and engineering students. The scholarship is administered through the Black Hawk College Foundation.
- BHC Presidential Scholarship: In-district high school seniors in the top 10% of their graduating class at the end of seven semesters are eligible for the Black Hawk College Presidential Scholars Award.
- Other BHC scholarship opportunities can be found at the BHC scholarships page.
- Transfer scholarships are also available at many transfer institutions.
Students may participate in research projects on both the East Campus and Quad-Cities Campus. Previous projects have included surveying pollinators in a nearby state forest, biological and physical sampling of a campus stream, and molecular analysis of local flora and fauna for conservation studies.
Learning Assistant Program
As a Learning Assistant you’ll have a great opportunity to experience college level instruction from the front of the classroom!
Associate Degree Information
If you plan to transfer to a four-year institution, you can earn an Associate in Arts or Associate in Science degree.
|Associate in Science||1645||AS Degree||60||AgricultureArt, Design and Performing ArtsBusiness, Computer and Engineering TechnologyEnglish, Reading & CommunicationESL, Languages, Humanities, Philosophy & SpeechHealth and Human ServicesMathematicsNatural Sciences & EngineeringPsychology and SociologySocial Sciences|
|Associate in Arts||1145||AA Degree||60||AgricultureArt, Design and Performing ArtsBusiness, Computer and Engineering TechnologyEnglish, Reading & CommunicationESL, Languages, Humanities, Philosophy & SpeechHealth and Human ServicesMathematicsNatural Sciences & EngineeringPsychology and SociologySocial Sciences|