Black Hawk College is an open enrollment college. This means that students are accepted into the college regardless of high school coursework and grades or prior testing such as the SAT or ACT.
As a community college, Black Hawk College offers classes which are either college-level or developmental-level in order to meet individual needs.
ACCUPLACER test scores are used to place students into courses that are appropriate for their academic skill level and to determine a student’s placement in:
- College-level courses (classes with course numbers 100 and above)
- Developmental Education courses (classes with course numbers under 100)
|You may not need to take the entire ACCUPLACER if:|
|1. You are enrolling in less than 6 credits AND will not accumulate more than 6 credits AND are taking a class with no prerequisites. OR|
|2. You have successfully completed college coursework at another college or university. Contact an advisor to determine if you need to complete Accuplacer OR|
|3. You have taken the SAT or ACT test within the past two years and scored at or above the required scores for individual sections as indicated below:|
|To check if your SAT or ACT scores have been received:
– Login to myBlackHawk (Reference the Welcome Letter that was sent to your email or home for login instructions.)
– Go to Student Tab > Students click here to > Student Records > Test Scores
If SAT or ACT scores have not been received, students must bring a copy of test results to the testing room.
- Black Hawk College students may take the ACCUPLACER test free of charge one time per year (Sept. 1 to Aug. 31).
- If you wish to retake the Accuplacer test during the same academic year, the cost is $15 per individual subject test or $30 for the entire test.
- Students who will use these test scores for placement at another college are charged $30 whether the student is taking an individual test or the entire test.
- Payment in cash or check is accepted prior to testing. NO DEBIT or CREDIT CARDS ARE ACCEPTED.
Students who need to take the ACCUPLACER test with accommodations based on their disability should contact Disability Services at the East Campus at 309-854-1713 or at the Quad-Cities Campus at 309-796-5949 to make testing arrangements. The ACCUPLACER test is untimed.
English as a Second Language
If English is your second language, it is REQUIRED that you take MICHIGAN TEST.
ESL Testing and Placement »
Things to remember on the day of the test:
- Bring a picture ID. (A driver’s license is preferred.)
- Bring your Black Hawk College ID number. You must have applied to BHC AND have your ID number before taking the placement test.
- Bring your SAT or ACT score report if you are exempt from parts of the test.
- The testing is free once each academic year for BHC students.
- Bring a check or cash and pay prior to testing if you are retaking the test.
What should I study before taking the ACCUPLACER test?
- For sample tests and more information, visit www.accuplacer.org.
- Click on the “Information for Students” button. You will have access to sample questions or several other options but they may have a fee.
- We highly encourage students to review the sample questions as course placement is determined by ACCUPLACER results.
Optional: Biology and Chemistry Competency Exams for Anatomy and Physiology also is available to students who are interested in waiving the prerequisite of Biology 100, 101 or 105 and Chemistry 101 or 110.