Black Hawk College is an open enrollment college. This means that students are accepted into the college regardless of high school coursework and grades or prior testing such as the SAT or ACT.
As a community college, Black Hawk College offers classes which are either college-level or developmental-level in order to meet individual needs.
ACCUPLACER test scores are used to place students into courses that are appropriate for their academic skill level and to determine a student’s placement in:
- College-level courses (classes with course numbers 100 and above)
- Developmental Education courses (classes with course numbers under 100)
|You may not need to take the entire ACCUPLACER if:|
|1. You are enrolling in less than 6 credits AND will not accumulate more than 6 credits AND are taking a class with no prerequisites. OR|
|2. You have successfully completed college coursework at another college or university. Contact an advisor to determine if you need to complete Accuplacer OR|
|3. You have taken the SAT or ACT test within the past two years and scored at or above the required scores for individual sections as indicated below:|
|To check if your SAT or ACT scores have been received:
– Login to myBlackHawk (Reference the Welcome Letter that was sent to your email or home for login instructions.)
– Go to Student Tab > Students click here to > Student Records > Test Scores
If SAT or ACT scores have not been received, students must bring a copy of test results to the testing room.
[Download not found]
- Black Hawk College students may take the ACCUPLACER test free of charge one time per year (Sept. 1 to Aug. 31).
- If you wish to retake the Accuplacer test during the same academic year, the cost is $15 per individual subject test or $30 for the entire test.
- Students who will use these test scores for placement at another college are charged $30 whether the student is taking an individual test or the entire test.
- Payment in cash or check is accepted prior to testing. NO DEBIT or CREDIT CARDS ARE ACCEPTED.
Students who need to take the ACCUPLACER test with accommodations based on their disability should contact Disability Services at the East Campus at 309-854-1713 or at the Quad-Cities Campus at 309-796-5949 to make testing arrangements. The ACCUPLACER test is untimed.
English as a Second Language
If English is your second language, it is REQUIRED that you take MICHIGAN TEST.
ESL Testing and Placement »
Things to remember on the day of the test:
- Bring a picture ID. (A driver’s license is preferred.)
- Bring your Black Hawk College ID number. You must have applied to BHC AND have your ID number before taking the placement test.
- Bring your SAT or ACT score report if you are exempt from parts of the test.
- The testing is free once each academic year for BHC students.
- Bring a check or cash and pay prior to testing if you are retaking the test.
What should I study before taking the ACCUPLACER test?
- For sample tests and more information, visit www.accuplacer.org.
- Click on the “Information for Students” button. You will have access to sample questions or several other options but they may have a fee.
- We highly encourage students to review the sample questions as course placement is determined by ACCUPLACER results.
Optional: Biology and Chemistry Competency Exams for Anatomy and Physiology also is available to students who are interested in waiving the prerequisite of Biology 100, 101 or 105 and Chemistry 101 or 110.
You must bring a signed permit from a Black Hawk College advisor, or a copy of your ACT or SAT report to the test. If you do not have documentation with you at the time of the test you will be required to take the ENTIRE test. If you haven’t had your ACT or SAT scores sent to Black Hawk College, you will need to do so. To request an additional score report, go to ACT’s web page at www.act.org or SAT’s web page at www.sat.org and have one sent to:
Enrollment Services, Black Hawk College, 6600 34th Ave., Moline, IL 61265
Enrollment Services, Black Hawk College – East Campus, 26230 Black Hawk Road, Galva, IL 61434
Some students may be exempt from parts of the ACCUPLACER test under two conditions:
– Students who have taken the ACT or SAT test within the past two years and scored appropriately in the individual English, Reading or Math tests do not have to take the corresponding ACCUPLACER test:
- ACT 22 or higher in English, or SAT 480 or higher in Reading, exempts you from the ACCUPLACER writing test
- ACT 22 or higher in Reading, or SAT 480 or higher in Reading, exempts you from the ACCUPLACER reading test
- ACT 22 or higher in Math exempts you from the ACCUPLACER pre-algebra test, however you are required to take the ACCUPLACER Algebra test.
– Students who have completed courses, or taken a placement test such as ASSET or ACCUPLACER at another college or university may be exempt from portions of the ACCUPLACER test. These students should first see an advisor or counselor before taking the ACCUPLACER test. Documentation is required and must be reviewed by an advisor to determine which portions of the ACCUPLACER test are needed for course placement. You will need to bring an unofficial copy of your college transcript or ASSET/ACCUPLACER scores when you come to the Advising Center to see an advisor. Without documentation, students will be required to take the entire ACCUPLACER test for course placement. Placement test scores from other colleges and universities that are not ASSET or ACCUPLACER scores cannot be used for course placement at Black Hawk College.
You may take the ACCUPLACER test free of charge one time per academic year (Sept. 1 – Aug. 31). If you wish to retake the ACCUPLACER test during the same academic year, the cost is $15.00 per individual test or $30 for the entire test. Payment in cash (exact change) or check at the time of testing is accepted. NO CREDIT CARDS are accepted.