The Early Childhood Educator Certificate is designed to prepare individuals to be teachers in a child care center and/or preschool setting. Upon completion of a Gateways Level 2 credential, this certificate will be equal to a Gateways Level 3 credential. The certificate will provide 9 additional hours of credit toward an A.A.S. degree in Child Development or an A.A. transfer degree in Early Childhood Education. (Early Childhood Education Certificate must follow completion of “Assistant Teacher Certificate”.)
Students who complete this program will be able to:
- Determine a child’s developmental strengths and weaknesses through the use of a research-based developmental screening tool.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the role of cultural and linguistic responsiveness as well as legal and ethical implications for assessment of young children.
- Use responsive planning strategies to develop lesson plans for three, four, and five year old children.
- Identify factors that contribute to positive interactions and developmentally appropriate learning outcomes.
- Identify local community resources to support families.
Course (Credit Hours):
ECE 100 Introduction to Early Childhood (3)
ECE 200 Growth and Development of Young Child (3)
ECE 201 Health, Safety and Nutrition (3)
ECE 202 Observ/Assessment (3)
ECE 203 Curriculum for Early Childhood Programs (3)
ECE 222 Child, Family, Community (3)
ECE 224 Methods of Guiding Child Behavior (3)
ENG 101 Composition I (3)
MATH 108 Statistics for General Education or
MATH 110 Math for General Education or
BUSN 160 Business Math I (3)
PSYC 101 Introduction to Psychology or
SOC 101 Principles of Sociology (3)
*It is recommended that students pursuing a Bachelor’s Degree in Education complete MATH 108.
Minimum total hours required for degree: 30