New students applying to Black Hawk College should select the AAS/General Occupational and Technical Studies (GOTS) until such time as they have been officially accepted by the department into this program.
The Surgical Technology Program is a career-oriented program designed to prepare students to function as part of a team in the operating room setting. This will include preparation of instruments, set up of the operating room and assisting with the care of patients undergoing surgery.
The curriculum includes both theory and practical application within the operating room setting. Students must achieve at least a “C” in all course work both general education and program specific.
The degree program provides students with additional information beyond the certificate level. Some employers may give preferential consideration to hiring those who have an associate degree.
Surgical Technologists (ST) are employed in hospital operating rooms, delivery rooms and ambulatory care surgical centers.
Students must successfully document and meet all health care and background checks required by the Black Hawk College health career programs and/or the clinical sites prior to entry into the Surgical Technology Program. A physical examination and immunizations are required prior to beginning of clinical rotations. Students with chronic health problems or physical disabilities will be accepted unless the health problem or disability is such that the student would be unable to complete the objectives of the program. (See Technical Abilities required by Health Care Programs for more information.)
- High school graduation or equivalent.
- Complete Surgical Technology application process. Students are required to fill out a program application.
- A physical examination and current immunizations.
- Background check.
- Minimum of “C” average in courses previously completed at Black Hawk College and any courses transferred from other colleges is required.
Students who complete this program will be able to:
Demonstrate appropriate communication skills for patients and team members in the operating room and demonstrate cultural competence.
To prepare competent entry-level surgical technologists in the cognitive (knowledge), psychomotor (skills), and affective (behavior) learning domains.
Upon completion the graduate will be able to:
Cognitive Learning Goals
- Successfully complete the National Certificate Exam offered through the National Board of Surgical Technology and Surgical Assisting (NBSTSA).
- Apply fundamental theoretical knowledge in the practice of surgical technology.
- Meeting or exceeding criteria set forth in the current CAAHEP Standards and Guideline for the Accreditation of Educational Programs in Surgical Technology.
Psychomotor Learning Goals
- Demonstrate safe manipulation of surgical instruments, equipment and supplies.
- Perform entry level in the first and second scrub role as defined by the AST 6e Core Curriculum.
- Learn and demonstrate principles of aseptic and sterile technique and understand the types and methods of sterilization.
Affective Learning Goals
- Advocate for the patient by following HIPAA guidelines on confidentiality and promoting patient safety before, during, and immediately after the surgical procedure.
- Display critical thinking and problem solving skills in patient care situations.
- Develop practitioners with high ethical conduct and high professional standards, upholding and abiding by the Association of Surgical Technologist Code of Ethics.
Applications for Fall 2019 will be accepted January 15 through March 1.
Course (Credit Hours):
BIOL 145 Anatomy and Physiology I (4)
BIOL 150 Medical Terminology (3)
COMM 100 Communication Skills (3)
ST 100 Central Services (3)
*MATH 078 Pre-Algebra (3)
BIOL 146 Anatomy and Physiology II (4)
COMM 105 Essentials of English (3)
PSYC 101 Intro to Psychology or
SOC 101 Principles of Sociology (3)
ST 110 Surgical Technologist I (5)
BIOL 261 Microbiology (4)
ST 112 Surgical Pharmacology (2)
CS 100 Intro to Computers (3)
ST 212 Surgical Tech Clinical II (6)
ST 213 Surgical Technologist II (6)
ST 214 Surgical Technologist III (6)
ST 215 Surgical Tech Clinical III (6)
*Appropriate placement score or MATH 081 is prerequisite to ST 112.
Minimum total hours required for degree: 61