Meet the Spring 2024 peer mentors!

What do Peer Mentors do?

They seek to raise awareness, provide education and serve as a resource to fellow BHC students on a wide variety of mental health issues.

How can they help YOU?

They will provide support, challenge you, commiserate with you, and be your cheerleader. Most importantly, they will listen!

To contact a peer mentor, email counseling@bhc.edu.

Meet the Spring 2024 Peer Mentors!

Liberty DePorter

Major: Nursing | Quad-Cities Campus

Liberty Deporter headshot

Why did you want to be a peer mentor?

I wanted to become a peer mentor because I want to get rid of this taboo topic of mental health. Mental illnesses are a very real issue in our world so I believe that everyone should be an advocate for it and help make a difference.

Fun fact about you or what are some of your hobbies?

I have a dog named Karma and will be getting a Great Dane puppy soon.

Brody Garcia

Major: Business | East Campus

Brody Garcia headshot

Why did you want to be a peer mentor?

I wanted to become a peer mentor because I have always had a passion for helping others. I would love for everyone to feel welcomed and comfortable on campus and I’m trying my best to be a positive role in accomplishing that.

Some fun facts about me are that I love Marvel especially Loki, I am a cat person, I love to go fishing, and I love thrifting. Some of my hobbies would include reading and shopping.

Ethan Hooks

Major: Applied Science | Quad-Cities Campus

Ethan Hooks headshot

Why did you want to be a peer mentor?

I find beauty and passion in helping people through difficult times. I know what it’s like to have nobody and pledged to let others not feel what I felt in the past.

I enjoy drawing a lot and I often play video games to pass time! I am also really good at photography.

Lizzy McDonald

Major: Associate in Arts | Quad-Cities Campus

Lizzy McDonald headshot

Why did you want to be a peer mentor?

I remember going through really rough times. Unfortunately, I didn’t have anyone I could trust or lean on. I want to be someone others can trust.

I play the bass in the jazz band, I love to learn fun random fun facts, and I always have at least three songs stuck in my head.

Wyatt Reed

Major: Undecided | Quad-Cities Campus

Wyatt Reed headshot

Why did you want to be a peer mentor?

Peer mentoring is important to me because I know how it feels to feel like you’re all alone. I’ve struggled with depression and anxiety in the past, and I was only ever able to get over it once I shared my experiences with other. Even when you’re all alone and feel like you don’t have anybody to talk to, I promise you that you do! I just want everybody to know that you’re not alone in this fight! It’s OK not to be OK.

A fun fact about me is that I used to have long hair once. I ended up cutting off 18 inches and donating it to Locks of Love.

In my free time I like to go camping, hiking, skateboarding, fishing, and spending time with my friends and family!

Jada Schutters

Major: General Occupational & Technical Studies | Quad-Cities Campus

Jada Schutters headshot

Why did you want to be a peer mentor?

I am excited to be a peer mentor because it gives me the opportunity to connect with others. I want to be the person anyone can go to no matter the situation. It is important that we all have someone we can go to and trust. I hope to be able to spread positivity and be a person anyone can count on.

My favorite color is purple, I’m left-handed, and tacos are superior!

Lena Slininger

Major: Acting | Quad-Cities Campus

Lena Slininger headshot

Why did you want to be a peer mentor?

I wanted to become a peer counselor/mentor at BHC because it gives me the opportunity to make a positive impact on people’s lives. I want to be able to help individuals seek help when facing mental issues and other struggles. I feel that I would be a great supportive mentor who can help guide others to reach their goals.

Fun facts about you or what are some of your hobbies?

Some of my hobbies include improv, gardening, baking and procrastination.

Brooke Thorpe

Major: Associate in Arts/Psychology | Quad-Cities Campus

Brooke Thorpe headshot

Why did you want to be a peer mentor?

I wanted to be a peer mentor because I’m extremely passionate about psychology and applying it to help others. It’s important to me because everyone could use a shoulder to lean on. Mental illness runs in my family, and I like to think that I’ve got some useful perspectives when it comes to life.

I like to be sustainable and thrifty when it comes to things I own. I am currently hyper-fixated on “RuPaul’s Drag Race,” anything mushroom-themed, and cats!

I hope to meet you soon!

The owner of this website has made a commitment to accessibility and inclusion, please report any problems that you encounter using the contact form on this website. This site uses the WP ADA Compliance Check plugin to enhance accessibility.
Registration for Summer and Fall classes is now available.Register for Classes
+ +