Frequently Asked Questions

Thank you for your interest in getting started at Black Hawk College. We hope this website is a useful resource for you as you navigate the college application process.

Here you will find answers to some of the questions that students frequently ask us. If you have questions that are not answered here or elsewhere on our website, please contact us.

Transfer FAQs

Completing an AA or AS degree has the benefit of program and/or course equivalency agreements which have been negotiated with four-year colleges and universities that allow you to transfer as a junior.

AA degree completion also fulfills the lower division general education requirements of many transfer schools.

The AS degree includes slightly more math and science requirements than the AA does. In most cases, students transferring to an Illinois four-year college or university will complete lower division general education courses after transfer (one additional course in Humanities or Fine Arts and one additional course in Social and Behavioral Sciences).  Some schools automatically evaluate an AS course-by-course (including Augustana College).  If you are unsure which degree is best for your plans, select the AA and then talk with your advisor.

The AAS degree prepares students for immediate employment following program completion. The AAS emphasizes field-specific training combined with about a semester of general education courses.  Students in AAS and career Certificate programs who think they may want to transfer should talk with their advisor about selecting general education courses. See the transfer checklist and planning guides at Transfer from Career Programs.

Category: Transfer FAQs

Both degrees require 60 credits to complete, but there are slight differences. The AA includes the complete IAI General Education Core Curriculum. While the AS has a slightly higher math and science course requirement, students have the option to take a couple of additional courses at BHC or after transfer (to an Illinois institution) if they want to also complete the IAI GECC.

Check with a Black Hawk College advisor to see if the AA or AS best meets your transfer goals.

Category: Transfer FAQs

Use the Course Transfer Tables & Transferology to learn how a course will transfer. If you don’t see your transfer school listed, contact the registrar at your transfer school or contact a Black Hawk College advisor at for assistance.

Category: Transfer FAQs

You can begin your education with Sample Transfer Plans and discuss your goals with a BHC advisor. Since major requirements vary from one transfer school to another, you should select a transfer school as soon as possible. We recommend having a short list of transfer schools by the time you complete 30 credits.

Category: Transfer FAQs

Most colleges and universities will allow you to transfer at least 60 community college semester hours and some BHC transfer partners will accept more credits. It’s important to learn not only how many credits will transfer but how many will be applied to your major requirements. All transfer schools have a “residency” requirement too, meaning minimum hours must be earned at their institution (many require 30 hours, some more and some even fewer). Discuss your transfer school ideas with your BHC advisor to decide when it’s best to transfer and Explore Colleges and Universities.

Category: Transfer FAQs

Apply up to one year in advance of the term you plan to transfer. Most colleges and universities have application deadlines by which the admission application and all supporting documents (transcripts, essay, etc.) must be submitted. The deadline is often two to five months prior to the start of the term you start, but some schools allow students to apply as late as a few weeks before classes begin. Waiting is not recommended though – apply early! Also check when your transfer school needs your financial aid information.

Category: Transfer FAQs

Most colleges and universities determine your eligibility for admission based on your college record once you’ve earned a specified number of college credit hours (usually 12-30 hours).  If you transfer with fewer credits, you will be asked to follow freshman admission requirements including providing your high school transcript.

Category: Transfer FAQs

After you apply to your transfer school you should send any supporting documents required such as your college transcripts. Follow directions on the transfer school’s checklist.  You should also complete financial aid and scholarship applications and begin making housing arrangements if you will be living away from home. Note when you are expected to attend orientation, register and pay for classes, and move to the campus.

Category: Transfer FAQs

Complete the FAFSA and any school-specific scholarship applications by the stated deadlines. Earning excellent grades will also improve your chances of earning a merit scholarship, which is automatically awarded based on your grade point average. The higher your GPA, the more money you are eligible to receive. Students who join the Phi Theta Kappa honor society while at BHC may be eligible for additional scholarships.

Look closely at your transfer school’s general financial aid webpage, as well as their transfer admissions page and the department pages for your major. Different scholarship opportunities may be shown in all these places. Also ask the admission staff about other sources of funds the college may offer transfer students such as campus visit awards, early FAFSA filer, out-of-state-student award, etc.

Category: Transfer FAQs
The owner of this website has made a commitment to accessibility and inclusion, please report any problems that you encounter using the contact form on this website. This site uses the WP ADA Compliance Check plugin to enhance accessibility.
Registration for Summer and Fall classes is now available.Register for Classes
+ +