More than 20 Black Hawk College students recently performed and competed in a multicultural Talent and Fashion Show at the college’s Quad-Cities Campus.
The participants represented more than a dozen countries or cultures, including China, Ghana, Hakha Chin, India, Indigenous America, Italy, Mexico, Myanmar, Nepal, the Philippines, Puerto Rico, Thailand, Togo, Turkey and the United States.
The Talent Show winners were:
- 1st place ($1,200) – Andre Builta, United States. Talent – playing the piano.
- 2nd place ($700) – Drake Lynn, United States. Talent – singing and playing the trumpet.
- 3rd place ($500) – Eastwood Adusi, Ghana. Talent – comedy skit.
The Fashion Show winners were:
- 1st place – Sung Par, Myanmar
- 2nd place – Alexa Swanson, Mexico
- 3rd place – Susmita Chaudhari, Nepal
“This was the first time I’ve ever actually won something by playing piano so it was very exhilarating and extremely memorable,” Andre Builta said. “It was like I couldn’t stop smiling.”
Thank you to the donors who contributed to the event’s success:
- Black Hawk College Foundation
- Breakfast Optimist Club
- Dress for Success
- Ascentra Credit Union
- ISA Balloons
- Samantha Gange
Thank you to the volunteer judges:
- Julie Gelaude
- Corey Kendrick
- Mike Laufenberg
- Zobeida Laufenberg
- Manila Lee
- Jennifer M.
- Gloria Mancilla
- Obot Udoh
The event was sponsored by the BHC Multicultural & Entrepreneurial Center.