Black Hawk College and Columbia College Chicago have established a Guaranteed Transfer Admission Program to facilitate transfer to more than 35 undergraduate majors at Columbia. The program offers guaranteed admission to Bachelor of Arts degree programs to all BHC students who have satisfied the program requirements.
Located in the heart of downtown Chicago’s Cultural Mile, Columbia is a private, nonprofit college offering a distinctive curriculum that blends creative and media arts, liberal arts and business for nearly 7,000 students. Dedicated to academic excellence and long-term career success, Columbia creates a dynamic, challenging and collaborative space for students who see the world through a creative lens. Black Hawk College offers the general education and foundation major courses so students may earn an associate degree as they prepare to transfer.
View the program agreement. Select the Transfer Planning tab.
Key requirements are:
- Students must complete ENG 101 and ENG 102 and demonstrate math proficiency at the college-level by completing an IAI-approved math course with final grades of “C” or higher.
- Students must have graduated from high school (as evidenced by a high school diploma or GED®) and have completed a minimum of 24 transferable credit hours at Black Hawk College with a cumulative grade point average of 2.5 on a 4.0 scale on all transferable coursework taken at Black Hawk College.
- It is highly recommended that students work closely with a BHC advisor and Columbia admissions counselor to confirm and align degree programs in addition to completing all the general education core curriculum prior to transfer. For course equivalencies, see Transferology.
- Students who complete the Associate in Arts degree before transfer will have completed the Essential Liberal Arts & Sciences section of the Columbia Core requirements. Within the AA degree General Education Core Curriculum, students should attempt to complete nine (9) credit hours at the 200-level.
- Columbia participates in IAI and will accept a completed IAI General Education Core Curriculum and accepts up to 75 credit hours in transfer which can include AP, IB, CLEP or other transfer credits.
Eligibility for a program transfer scholarship of $4,000-$8,000 per year:
Program participants with a 2.75 GPA or higher shall receive an admissions scholarship for their first year of enrollment at Columbia based on their cumulative grade point average on all transferable coursework taken at Black Hawk College. Higher award amounts are available for students who complete the associate degree.
The transfer scholarship is renewable each year up to 120 attempted credits hours or four (4) years, whichever is reached first. Applicants shall also be considered for additional merit-based scholarships for which they qualify and apply (when required).
Students can meet with Columbia during National Transfer Student Week:
Tuesday, Oct. 20 from noon to 3 p.m.
Join the session.
Black Hawk College Advising