Interested in being a student trustee?
Black Hawk College is directly governed by a seven-member Board of Trustees, all of whom are elected from within the district for six-year terms. A student representative, elected in alternating years for a one-year term from each of the two campuses, is a non-voting member of the board. The officers of the board are chairman, vice chairman and secretary, all of whom are elected by their peers for a two-year term.
1. Be of the age of 18 years or older at time of election.
2. Be a resident of the Black Hawk College district.
3. Be enrolled in a minimum of six credit hours each semester.
4. Not be concurrently enrolled in high school.
5. Have completed a minimum of 12 credit hours at Black Hawk College.
6. Have and maintain a cumulative grade point average of 2.5 or better.
7. Maintain good academic and disciplinary conduct.
8. Not be a full-time or part-time employee of the college, not including student employment.
1. Fulfill the responsibilities of the Student Trustee as described in Board Policies.
2. Attend all Black Hawk College Board of Trustees meetings as a representative of SGA and the student body (one per month).
3. Present a report at monthly board meetings.
4. Report minutes of the board meetings at SGA meetings.
5. Act as a liaison between the SGA and the Board of Trustees.
6. Attend majority of Illinois Community College Board Student Advisory Committee meetings (travel required).
7. Communicate regularly with the SGA advisor and Student Life staff.
1. Represent the student body and SGA at the Board of Trustees.
2. Lead student initiatives and projects.
3. Travel to state-wide meetings at no personal cost.
The student trustee shall be limited to one (1) one-year term and may not be re-elected. However, a student who serves as student trustee for the remainder of an unexpired term of less than seven (7) months shall be eligible to be elected as the student trustee for a subsequent one-year term.
Eligible students may apply for the position by completing an application form, including submitting a short biography. One student trustee will be elected by the student body. The student trustee’s first responsibility is to attend the next Board of Trustees meeting after the election.