More than 100 people gathered on a sunny October afternoon to celebrate Black Hawk College’s 75th anniversary.
“Thank you to Black Hawk College for the lessons you have instilled and the memories you have so graciously offered,” said current student Aubrie Mozingo.
Alumni Paul Rumler and Alejandra Martinez spoke about their experiences as BHC students and Student Poetry Contest winners Zayne Olson and Joseph Smith read their poems about “What Education Means To Me.”
The choir sang the Black Hawk College School Song and the Black Hawk College Jazz Band performed.
A time capsule from 1971 was opened and a new time capsule to be opened in 2046 was dedicated.
Dorothy Beck – who wrote a book about the college for its 50th anniversary in 1996 – spoke about coming to Black Hawk College from Boston in 1969 to teach English.
“I was 23, the same age as the college,” she said. “Black Hawk College and I grew up together.”
Beck taught for nearly 41 years then served as a BHC trustee for six years.
“As we celebrate the first 75 years of Black Hawk College, we honor the memory of those who are no longer with us, we celebrate the extraordinary service of all those who keep this show on the road – especially these past two years – and we delight in the prospects we cannot even imagine that lie ahead,” Beck said.
- The Dispatch/The Rock Island Argus article – Black Hawk College celebrates its 75th anniversary (Dispatch/Argus)
- Quad-City Times article – Black Hawk College celebrates its 75th anniversary (QCTimes)
- Dispatch/Argus/QCTimes video – The contents of a Black Hawk College time capsule from 1971.
- Dispatch/Argus/QCTimes video – The Black Hawk College Choir performs at the BHC 75th anniversary celebration
- Dispatch/Argus/QCTimes video – Black Hawk College student Zayne Olson recites a poem during the 75th anniversary
- Dispatch/Argus/QCTimes video – Black Hawk College student Joseph Smith recites his poem at the college’s 75th
- KWQC – Black Hawk College celebrates 75th anniversary Tuesday
- WHBF/KLJB – Black Hawk College celebrates 75th anniversary by opening, creating time capsule
- WQAD – Black Hawk College looks back on 75 years in education