The Student Government Association (SGA) is the officially recognized student governance body for Black Hawk College. At the Quad-Cities Campus it is composed of 14 senators, including executive officers, and the opportunity for any Black Hawk College student to be a part of one or more of the standing committees: Activities, Volunteerism, and Governing, as well as other committees, such as the Inter-Club Council Committee. Senators are appointed by the outgoing Senate once a year through an application and interview process.
What does SGA do?
- ENHANCES the quality of college life for Black Hawk College students.
- GOVERNS student organizations.
- PROVIDES activities, volunteer and leadership opportunities on campus.
Who are the SGA leaders?
President: leader of SGA
Vice President: assists President
Secretary: record keeper
Financial Administrator: financial officer
Senators: voice of SGA, votes on issues
- SGA Senators serve their office hours in the Student Life Office located in Building 4, Room 117.
- Meetings – Every Wednesday starting at 2 p.m. SGA Senators meet weekly in Building 4, Conference Rooms 1 & 2 (Hawk’s Nest area).
Want to be a student leader?
- Gain leadership skills
- Enhance your résumé and university application
- Leave your legacy at Black Hawk College
- Attend leadership conferences
Interested in participating? Next steps:
- If you are a student interested in being a part of the SGA please fill out the Student Government Association Application. Once we receive your application, we will contact you regarding the possibility of an interview.
- If you are a faculty member that would like to nominate a student to participate in the SGA please fill out the Student Government Association Nomination Form for Faculty.
- If you are a staff member that would like to nominate a student to participate in the SGA please fill out the Student Government Association Nomination Form for Staff.
For more information about Student Government Association at Black Hawk College, contact us.
We look forward to your comments and feedback. Please use our online comment form by clicking here.
Activities: to organize and facilitate activities that complement the educational opportunities of Black Hawk College or provide entertainment.
Volunteerism: to encourage community service among the SGA, clubs/organizations, and the college community.
Governing: to collect input from the student body and lobby for student requested change to the appropriate members of the college.
Legal Affairs: to propose amendments or other remedies concerning controversies of interpretation or deficiencies of the constitution or by-laws, and to make recommendations regarding removal of any officer or expulsion of any Senator.
Inter-Club Council: to encourage greater interaction and cooperation among the various clubs and organizations; to serve as an educational resource for existing clubs as well as students who wish to join or start clubs, and to advise the Executive Cornerstone and Senate on issues concerning various clubs and organizations.
Finance: to be responsible for budgeting and funding of all SGA monies in the best interest of the students at Black Hawk College. The Finance Cornerstone shall also make recommendations for all Black Hawk College club requests for funding.
Interested in joining a SGA Committee? E-mail email@example.com or more information.
Appointment of Senators: Appointment process shall be held approximately one month prior to the end of spring semesters at dates determined by the senator appointment committee and publicized in accordance with the by-laws.
a) Upon verification of a properly submitted application, the senator appointment committee shall place the candidate’s name on the list for the next scheduled set of interviews. The application must be submitted at least one week prior to scheduled interviews.
b) The candidate’s legal name, middle names optional, shall be placed on the list in the order the applications are received. If a candidate commonly goes by a nickname, that name may be placed in quotation marks after the given name.
c) Interviews shall be available to applicants through a variety of times and days of the week over the course of at least two weeks.
e) The candidates with the highest point totals from interview committee members shall fill the available Senator positions. If two or more candidates tie for the last available position, a winner shall be chosen by lot in a fair and open manner chosen by the senator appointment committee.
f ) The Senators’ terms of office begin at the third Senate meeting following appointments.
g) Newly appointed senators shall attend all SGA meetings between the appointment and the time that they take office. Returning senators will be sworn-in at the meeting where the new senators take office.
Elections of Officers: The Senate shall elect from among their number several officers, who:
1. Shall consist of the President, Vice-President, Secretary, and Financial Administrator.
2. Shall be elected after the newly elected Senators take office.
3. Shall retain all rights and responsibilities of Senators, and are considered as Senators, but shall use only the title of their respective office.
4. Shall not hold two or more offices concurrently.
5. Shall not be elected to more than three terms to the same office.
6. Shall uphold the SGA Officer Guidelines created and approved by the current Executive Committee.