The purpose of the SGA shall be to enhance the quality of college life for Black Hawk College students. To achieve this purpose, SGA shall provide programming to complement the educational opportunities available to Black Hawk College students, as well as leadership opportunities to its members. The SGA shall also avail itself in any way possible to represent the needs of the students to the Black Hawk College faculty, staff, and Board.
What does SGA do?
- ENHANCES the quality of college life for Black Hawk College students.
- GOVERNS student organizations.
- PROVIDES activities, volunteer and leadership opportunities on campus
- Section 1. The SGA shall try to maintain a minimum of one member from each academic field of study, club, organization, and minority group of Black Hawk College.
- Section 2. To be eligible for membership as a nonvoting member, a student must be enrolled in at least one course at Black Hawk College. This student status must be maintained in order to retain their position in the SGA throughout their term.
- Section 3. To be eligible for membership as a voting member, a student must be currently enrolled in at least one course at Black Hawk College. This student status must be maintained in order to retain their position in the SGA throughout their term.
The officers of the SGA shall be the President, Vice-President, Secretary, and Financial Administrator.
Selection of SGA Officers: SGA Officers shall be selected by the current SGA Representatives of Black Hawk College. Officers shall be selected each fall with date and guidelines, non-discriminatory in any way, set by the current SGA Advisor.
Election guidelines shall be available a minimum of one month prior to the beginning of the campaign period. Candidates running for office cannot participate in or speak to the election official about the guidelines of the election other than to obtain those guidelines from the election committee.
(a) All candidates must be current Black Hawk College students enrolled in a credit course with the understanding that they must attend the fall and the spring semesters with a minimum of six (6) credit hours.
(b) All SGA candidates must have an accumulative G.P.A. of at least 2.5 in college credit courses and must maintain this status for their entire term in office.
(c) Each Candidate must present an official application to the SGA Advisor by previously posted dates and deadlines.
(d) Term of office. The term of office shall be for the academic year beginning at the next meeting following the election.
Duties of officers: The duties of the officers of the SGA shall be to serve as parliamentarian, by familiar with Roberts Rules of Order, the SGA constitution, SGA by-laws and all rules and policies of Black Hawk College.
(a) The President of the SGA shall:
- Preside at all meeting of the SGA and Executive Board.
- Be an official representative of the students of Black Hawk College.
- Be a voting member of the SGA and Executive Board.
- Appoint voting members to all committees, but can have appointments of committee members overruled by a majority of the SGA.
(b) The Vice-President of the SGA shall:
- Assume Presidential duties in the absence of the President.
- Serve as coordinator of all SGA committees.
- Be given automatic voting member status and Executive Board member upon being elected to office, except when fulfilling the duties of the SGA President.
- Be an official representative of the SGA and the students of Black Hawk College.
(c) The Secretary of SGA shall:
- Be responsible for taking and recording the minutes of all SGA and Executive Board meetings and distributing the minutes prior to the next SGA meeting.
- Take roll call and mark absentees at each SGA meeting.
- Be responsible for all letters and correspondence to and from anyone outside of the SGA, give a report of such correspondent in and correspondence out, as approved and ordered by the SGA.
- Be given automatic voting member status and Executive Board member status upon being elected to office, except when fulfilling the duties of the SGA President.
- Assume presidential duties in the absence of the President and Vice- Presidents.
- Insure and maintain a proper record system for use of SGA as well as for public inspection.
- Periodically inspect and confirm Financial Administrator’s reports.
(d) The Financial Administrator shall:
- Be responsible and accountable for the recording and disbursement of all SGA fundraising funds.
- Be required to give an oral financial report at each meeting of the SGA and Executive Board with regard to fundraising.
- Be an advisor of any budget committee.
- Be given automatic voting member status and Executive Board member status upon being elected to office, except when fulfilling the duties of SGA President.
- Assume Presidential duties in the absence of the President, Vice-President, and Secretary.
- Meetings: The SGA Advisor shall publish meeting times during the academic year.
- Procedure: The procedural rules governing the meeting of the SGA shall be Roberts Rules of Order or changed based on a majority vote of the voting members of SGA.
- Special meetings: The President may call for special meetings at regularly scheduled meetings, subject to approval of the majority of the voting members of the SGA.
- Special Executive Meetings: Any executive officer may call a special meeting of the Executive Board members as long as all Executive members are present. Information from a special board meeting must be presented to the General Assembly within seven days from the time of the Special Executive Board meeting.
- Quorum: SGA officers and voting delegates present at any scheduled meeting (equal to one-half of the voting membership) shall constitute a quorum for the transaction of business. There must be a minimum of 3 voting members present.