What qualifications/credentials do the counselors have?

All of our counselors have master’s degrees and extensive coursework of additional post-graduate study.

What is the difference between a counselor and an academic advisor?

A counselor is a faculty member as well as a master’s degree-level professional trained in counseling. Counselors also work with faculty and staff as consultants and trainers and provide all services of academic advisors.

An academic advisor is a professional staff or faculty member trained to assist students with academic planning. Advisors make referrals for various student concerns to counselors or other campus services.

How long can I receive counseling?

Due to a high demand for services, and to ensure that the greatest number of students can receive services, the college sets a limit on the total number of individual counseling appointments students may receive. Please discuss the specifics of this policy with your counselor.

Is counseling only for people who have emotional problems?

No, counseling can also assist with the following:
• Adjusting to new surroundings/circumstances or a new culture
• Building self-esteem
• Choosing a major or career path
• Coping with grief, loss and depression
• Learning new communication skills
• Learning stress management
• Overcoming math or speech anxiety
• Overcoming social anxiety
• Resolving a conflict with a teacher, friend or relative