Teachers – Stay ahead of the curve
Earn PD Hours through the RIROE and Black Hawk College.
Your profession is truly one that makes a difference in the lives of students. Black Hawk College’s Professional and Continuing Education (PaCE) Department and the Rock Island County Regional Office of Education (RIROE) have partnered to offer a variety of classes to help you enhance your professional development.
To obtain PD Hours for a chosen course, teachers need to contact Julie at the RIROE (309-736-1111) to inform her of their intent to obtain PD Hours. The RIROE fee for processing a PD Hours Certificate is $25. One hour of course time = one PD Hour. Most of the online courses require a minimum of 24 hours of contact with some variances. Hours of classroom courses vary.
Classroom computer skills classes:
Go to the PaCE Technology web page for more information on day and evening/weekend classes:
- Word (Level 1 & 2 available) – 6 PDs (each)
- Excel (Level 1, 2, & 3 available) – 7 PDs (each)
- Access (Part 1, 2 & 3 available) – 6 PDs (each)
- PowerPoint – 6 PDs
- Publisher – 6 PDs
- Adobe Photoshop Elements Workshop – 10 PDs
- Computer Basics – 8 PDs
- Moving to Windows 10 – 3 PDs
- Introduction to Word – 8 PDs
- Introduction to Excel – 7.5 PDs
- Intermediate Excel – 7.5 PDs
- Advanced Excel – 7.5 PDs
- Introduction to PowerPoint – 4 PDs
- iPad: Beginner – 2 PDs
- iPad: Intermediate – 2 PDs
Online computer classes also available.
Classroom language classes:
Go to the Language web page for more information:
- Basic French – 12 PDs
- Basic Russian – 12 PDs
- Basic Spanish – 16 PDs
- Basic Chinese – 12 PDs
- French Refresher – 8 PDs
- American Sign Language (ASL) Beginning – 16 PDs
- American Sign Language (ASL) Intermediate – 12 PDs
- Disabilities Studies – 7 PDs
Register for the class at 309-796-8223 after receiving approval from RIROE.
For online classes:
Visit the Online Teaching and Education page and choose from:
- Classroom Computing
- Reading and Writing
- Test Prep
- Tools for Teachers
Here is a sample of just some of the more than 60 outstanding Teacher Professional Development Online Courses offered:
Classes begin the 3rd Wednesday of each month and take six weeks to complete. Here is a list of some of the over 60 Teacher Professional Development Online Courses offered:
- Ready, Set, Read!
- Teaching Writing: Grades K-3
- Solving Classroom Discipline Problems
- Differentiating K-12 Assessments
- Teaching Students with Learning Disabilities
- Using the Internet in the Classroom
- The Creative Classroom
- Guided Reading and Writing: Strategies for Differentiated Classroom
- Creating the Inclusive Classroom: Strategies for Success
- Guided Reading and Writing: Strategies for Maximum Student Achievement
- Integrating Technology in the Classroom
- Spanish in the Classroom
- Survival Kit for New Teachers
- Teaching Smarter With SMART Boards
Have you ever wondered what it takes to become a substitute teacher or substitute paraprofessional in the State of Illinois? There is an immediate need for individuals to fulfill these positions. Click here for more information.