Instructor: T. Nelson, DPT
Job growth expected to be 30% through 2026.
Prerequisite: Age 18 and GED or high school diploma. Ability to bend, lift, stoop, twist, turn and stand on your feet for extended periods of time. The ability to lift peers to practice transferring of patient/client during practice lab.
Prepare to perform duties as an entry-level physical therapy aide. Learn the history of physical therapy, physical therapy medical terminology, sanitation, professional communication, body mechanics, therapeutic exercise, gait and mobility, assistive devices, transferring of patient/client, positioning of patient/client and physical modality set-up and delivery. Professionalism, attendance and patient handling skills are emphasized.
Required: Three hours or more of a job shadow event in a physical therapy environment of your choice. Lab (hands-on) practice weekly.
The Physical Therapy Aide Specialist Certification exam (CPTAS) is available through the National Career Certification Board (NCCB) upon successful completion of the class.
13 Fridays Sept. 7 – Dec. 7 9:00 a.m. – Noon
CRN 81222 HSC – Rm. 119 Tuition Fee $649
(No class on Nov. 23)
Before the first class, purchase required textbook at www.bhc.edu/bookstore.
Required Textbook Purchasing Procedure:
- For a list of PaCE textbooks, visit www.bhc.edu/bookstore
- Click on campus location (Hawk’s Hub (QC) or East Campus).
- Click on (Order Textbooks) in the Textbooks box.
- Select Term (Fall 18), Select Department (Adult Ed)
- Click on your course name under Select Course and click (Add Selection).
- Click on (Get Course Materials) to see your book title.
- Payment options – debit, credit, or pay at pickup.
- Delivery options – ship to home, pick up at East Campus or pick up at Quad-Cities Campus.