In partnership with Genesis.
Job growth expected to be 25% through 2026.
Prerequisite: Current statement of good health from your physician and documented proof that you are free from active tuberculosis as documented by a negative QuantiFERON® – TB Gold test. These documents must be presented to the instructor the first night of class. This test may be obtained from your physician’s office or by visiting a Genesis Occupational Health Clinic. For clinic locations, go to: www.genesishealth.com/genesis-at-work/occupational-health Hepatitis B vaccinations are not required but strongly recommended. You are required to perform 25 venipunctures and 5 capillaries. Students will perform these skills in a phlebotomy practice lab setting, beginning with practice arms and then with real arms (students practice on one another) under instructor guidance and supervision.
Train in the basic blood-drawing procedures for venipuncture and capillary puncture techniques. You will have an understanding of the skills, knowledge and level of responsibility required to perform competently as entry-level phlebotomy/lab personnel.
Topics will include:
- Handling, processing and documentation of samples
- OSHA guidelines and safety rules
- Anatomy and physiology of the circulatory system
- Basic phlebotomy techniques
- Quality assurance and methods of quality control
Before the first class, purchase required textbook at www.bhc.edu/bookstore.
Please note – The East Campus Store is a pickup location for pre-ordered textbooks only. This store does not have textbooks in store for same day purchase. Please be prepared for class and order at least three (3) business days before you need your textbook.
The National Certified Phlebotomy Technician (NCPT) certification exam is available upon successful completion of the class through National Center for Competency Testing (NCCT).
Instructor: J. Hines
10 Wednesdays Aug. 29 – Oct. 31 5:30 – 9:30 p.m.
CRN 81212 HSC – Rm. 212 Tuition Fee $725
Instructor: S. Edlund
5 Mon./5 Fri. Sept. 7 – Oct. 19 3:45 – 7:45 p.m.
CRN 81213 HSC – Rm. 212 Tuition Fee $725
(No class on Sept. 21, Sept. 24, and Oct. 8)
5 Mon./5 Fri. Oct. 29 – Dec. 7 3:45 – 7:45 p.m.
CRN 81214 HSC – Rm. 212 Tuition Fee $725
(No class on Nov. 12 and Nov. 23)
Instructor: M. Newman
10 Tuesdays Sept. 18 – Nov. 20 5:30 – 9:30 p.m.
CRN 81215 CEC – Rm. 124 Tuition Fee $725
Required Textbook Purchasing Procedure:
- For a list of PaCE textbooks, visit www.bhc.edu/bookstore
- Click on campus location (Hawk’s Hub (QC) or East Campus).
- Click on (Order Textbooks) in the Textbooks box.
- Select Term (Fall 18), Select Department (Adult Ed)
- Click on your course name under Select Course and click (Add Selection).
- Click on (Get Course Materials) to see your book title.
- Payment options – debit, credit, or pay at pickup.
- Delivery options – ship to home, pick up at East Campus or pick up at Quad-Cities Campus.