In partnership with Genesis.
Job growth expected to be 25% through 2026.
Prerequisite: Current statement of good health from your physician and documented proof that you are free from active tuberculosis as documented by a negative QuantiFERON® – TB Gold test. These documents must be presented to the instructor the first night of class. This test may be obtained from your physician’s office or by visiting a Genesis Occupational Health Clinic. For clinic locations, go to: www.genesishealth.com/genesis-at-work/occupational-health/ Hepatitis B vaccinations are not required but strongly recommended.
Train in the basic blood-drawing procedures for venipuncture and capillary puncture techniques. You will have an understanding of the skills, knowledge and level of responsibility required to perform competently as entry-level phlebotomy/lab personnel.
Topics will include:
• Handling, processing and documentation of samples
• OSHA guidelines and safety rules
• Anatomy and physiology of the circulatory system
• Basic phlebotomy techniques
• Quality assurance and methods of quality control
You are required to perform 25 venipunctures and 5 capillaries. Students will perform these skills in a phlebotomy practice lab setting, beginning with practice arms and then with real arms (students practice on one another) under instructor guidance and supervision.
Before the first class, purchase required textbook at www.bhc.edu/bookstore.
The National Certified Phlebotomy Technician (NCPT) certification exam is available upon successful completion of the class through National Center for Competency Testing (NCCT).
Instructor: J. Hines
10 Wednesdays May 8 – July 10 5:30 – 9:30 p.m.
CRN 50263 Bldg. 3 – Rm. 205 Tuition Fee $735
Instructor: S. Edlund
5 Mon./5 Fri. May 13 – June 17 4:00 – 8:00 p.m.
CRN 50221 Bldg. 3 – Rm. 205 Tuition Fee $735
(No class on May 27)
5 Mon./5 Fri. July 8 – Aug. 9 4:00 – 8:00 p.m.
CRN 50264 Bldg. 3 – Rm. 205 Tuition Fee $735
4 Mon./6 Fri. Aug. 16 – Sept. 20 4:00 – 8:00 p.m.
CRN 81027 Bldg. 3 – Rm. 205 Tuition Fee $735
(No class on Sept. 2)
Required Textbook Purchasing Procedure
For a list of PaCE textbooks, visit www.bhc.edu/bookstore
- Click on campus location (Hawk’s Hub (QC) or East Campus).
- Click on (Order Textbooks) in the Textbooks box.
- Select Term (Summer 19), Select Department (Adult Ed)
- Click on your course name under Select Course and click (Add Selection).
- Click on (Get Course Materials) to see your book title.
- Payment options – debit, credit, or pay at pickup.
- Delivery options – ship to home, pick up at East Campus or pick up at Quad-Cities Campus.