In partnership with Genesis.
Job growth expected to be 25% through 2026.
Prerequisite: Current statement of good health from your physician and documented proof that you are free from active tuberculosis as documented by a negative QuantiFERON® – TB Gold test. These documents must be presented to the instructor the first night of class. This test may be obtained from your physician’s office or by visiting a Genesis Occupational Health Clinic. For clinic locations, go to: http://www.genesishealth.com/genesis-at-work/occupational-health/ Hepatitis B vaccinations are not required but strongly recommended.
Train in the basic blood-drawing procedures for venipuncture and capillary puncture techniques. You will have an understanding of the skills, knowledge and level of responsibility required to perform competently as entry-level phlebotomy/lab personnel.
Topics will include:
- Handling, processing and documentation of samples
- OSHA guidelines and safety rules
- Anatomy and physiology of the circulatory system
- Basic phlebotomy techniques
- Quality assurance and methods of quality control
You are required to perform 25 venipunctures and 5 capillaries. Students will perform these skills in a phlebotomy practice lab setting, beginning with practice arms and then with real arms (students practice on one another) under instructor guidance and supervision
The National Certified Phlebotomy Technician (NCPT) certification exam is available upon successful completion of the class through National Center for Competency Testing (NCCT).
Instructor: J. Hines
10 Wednesdays Feb. 6 – Apr. 10 5:30 – 9:30 p.m.
CRN 11174 Bldg. 3 – Rm. 205 Tuition Fee $725
Instructor: S. Edlund
5 Mon./5 Fri. Feb. 22 – Mar. 25 4:00 – 8:00 p.m.
CRN 11175 Bldg. 3 – Rm. 205 Tuition Fee $725
5 Mon./5 Fri. Mar. 29 – May 10 4:00 – 8:00 p.m.
CRN 11176 Bldg. 3 – Rm. 205 Tuition Fee $725
(No classes on Apr. 19, May 3, and May 6)
5 Mon./5 Fri. May 13 – June 17 4:00 – 8:00 p.m.
CRN 50221 Bldg. 3 – Rm. 205 Tuition Fee $725
(No class on May 27 and registration for this class begins April 2.)
Instructor: M. Newman
10 Tuesdays Feb. 5 – Apr. 9 5:30 – 9:30 p.m.
CRN 11177 Kewanee CEC – Rm. 124 Tuition Fee $725
Before the first class, purchase required textbook at www.bhc.edu/bookstore.
Please note – The East Campus Store is a pickup location for pre-ordered textbooks only. This store does not have textbooks in store for same day purchase. Please be prepared for class and order at least three (3) business days before you need your textbook.
Required Textbook Purchasing Procedure:
- For a list of PaCE textbooks, visit www.bhc.edu/bookstore
- Click on campus location (Hawk’s Hub (QC) or East Campus).
- Click on (Order Textbooks) in the Textbooks box.
- Select Term (Spring 2019), Select Department (Adult Ed)
- Click on your course name under Select Course and click (Add Selection).
- Click on (Get Course Materials) to see your book title.
- Payment options – debit, credit, or pay at pickup.
- Delivery options – ship to home, pick up at East Campus or pick up at Quad-Cities Campus.