This certificate is offered only at the Quad Cities Campus.
The Medical Office Receptionist program prepares individuals for medical office receptionist employment. By combining courses from Administrative Assisting and Health Management Information AAS degrees, this certificate will provide students with specialized knowledge of medical terminology and medical procedures to better perform front desk operations in a medical environment. The medical office receptionist coordinates office functions and operates as part of the medical team.
Students who successfully complete this program will be able to:
- Appropriately manage telephone communications and schedule office, surgical, and diagnostic procedures.
- Receive patients and visitors.
- Apply legal and ethical standards.
- Create and maintain confidential patient records; sort and disperse incoming mail.
- Utilize the computer to perform office functions: key documents and other correspondence using correct grammar and punctuation, enter patient information, complete billing, enter payroll, record insurance information, schedule patient appointments, etc.
- Apply appropriate medical terminology when communicating with patients, office staff, and insurance companies.
- Employ proper health insurance knowledge when speaking or corresponding with clients/patients and insurance companies.
Gainful employment is one important measure that students and parents should pay attention to as they examine colleges and programs. All non-degree programs must be designed to lead to gainful employment in a recognized occupation in order to be deemed eligible for federal student aid. These programs are generally less than 2 years in length and result in a certificate.
Course (Credit Hours):
BUSN 116 Business Relations (3)
BE 106 Records Management (3)
*BE 180 Business Communications (4)
HIM 156 Intro to Health Insurance (3)
HIM 200 Advanced Medical Terminology (3)
HIM 255 Management of Electronic Health Records (3)
* Students should look at Assessment and Orientation.
Minimum total hours required for degree: 35