This certificate is offered only at the Quad Cities Campus.
The Art Technology Certificate is a one-year certificate that emphasizes the technical aspects of visual communication, focusing in particular on the development of graphic design skills. The curriculum is rooted in a strong foundation of basic drawing and design skills. Students develop strong skills and technical knowledge using a variety of software program (based in the Adobe Creative Suite, which includes Illustrator, InDesign and Photoshop), as well as experience with digital cameras, downloading images, scanning, printers and digital prepress considerations.
Students completing this certificate program will have the skills necessary for entry-level positions in graphic design, including advertising and editorial design, production artist, photo retouching or desktop publishing.
Students completing this program will be able to:
- Basic drawing and design skills with a strong understanding of design principles and color theory, as applied to a variety of design related careers, such as graphic design, web design, illustration, photography, etc.
- Strong skills and technical knowledge in several Adobe Creative Suite programs, particularly InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, Lightroom and Animate. Basic understanding of technical requirements for digital prepress and print, photography and photo retouching.
- Ability to work in a team environment exploring a variety of avenues to a project, while remaining flexible and open to concepts and applying critical thinking and problem solving skills.
- Understanding and experience using a variety of equipment such as inkjet and laser printers, scanners, stylus tablets, digital cameras and studio lighting.
- Basic skills necessary for entry-level positions in graphic design, advertising and editorial design, photo retouching or as a photography assistant.
ArtFusion is produced every other year by and for the students of Black Hawk College. From essays to digital drawing to photography and painting, student works are featured throughout a professionally formatted and published magazine.
Course (Credit Hours):
ART 100 Art Appreciation or
ART 281 History of Western Art I (3)
ART 101 2-Dimensional Design (3)
ART 121 Drawing and Drawing Theory (3)
ART 215 Digital Imagery (3)
ART 230 Type & Digital Layout (3)
ART 290 Applications in Computer Art (3)
ART 111 3-Dimensional Design (3)
ART 122 Drawing and Drawing Theory (3)
ART 213 Digital Photography (3)
ART 217 Digital Drawing (3)
ART 246 Graphic Design or
ART 248 Production and Prepress (3)
CS 100 Introduction to Computers (3)
Minimum total hours required for degree: 36