« July 2017 » loading...
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
Thu 27

Online classes information session

July 27 @ 5:30 pm - 7:00 pm
Fri 28

View all »

What are some examples of accommodations that are not made or arranged by the Disability Services Office?

The ADA does not require colleges to provide personal assistants, individual personal tutors, or personal assistive technology. Accommodations are not made which would reduce academic expectations or which would eliminate essential components of any course.

I’m thinking about attending Black Hawk College. Who can help me decide?

Black Hawk hosts many Campus Tours & Get-To-Know BHC Events for potential students and their family members. BHC advisors are also knowledgeable first contacts who can answer your questions about starting college, discuss your educational goals, and inform you of BHC’s resources to help you succeed.

What qualifications/credentials do the counselors have?

All of our counselors have master’s degrees and extensive coursework of additional post-graduate study.

What is the difference between a counselor and an academic advisor?

A counselor is a faculty member as well as a master’s degree-level professional trained in counseling. Counselors also work with faculty and staff as consultants and trainers and provide all services of academic advisors.

An academic advisor is a professional staff or faculty member trained to assist students with academic planning. Advisors make referrals for various student concerns to counselors or other campus services.

How long can I receive counseling?

Due to a high demand for services, and to ensure that the greatest number of students can receive services, the college sets a limit on the total number of individual counseling appointments students may receive. Please discuss the specifics of this policy with your counselor.

Is counseling only for people who have emotional problems?

No, counseling can also assist with the following:
• Adjusting to new surroundings/circumstances or a new culture
• Building self-esteem
• Choosing a major or career path
• Coping with grief, loss and depression
• Learning new communication skills
• Learning stress management
• Overcoming math or speech anxiety
• Overcoming social anxiety
• Resolving a conflict with a teacher, friend or relative

How do I attend BHC while attending another college?

Reading and following all steps below will smooth your entry to Black Hawk College. Please attempt the steps below before seeking further assistance. For help, email an Advisor at Provide all relevant information in your communication with us.

We look forward to having you with us this semester!

STEP 1. Apply to attend BHC at

For Program of Study on the application, choose *NDS – TRANSFER
After two business days log into your myBlackHawk student portal and email:

STEP 2. Course descriptions and pre-requisite requirements

See the current BHC catalog at
For course transferability, use MyCreditsTransfer and Transferology.

MyCreditsTransfer is designed to facilitate transfer within Illinois using the nationally available tool, Transferology. Find the courses that transfer between institutions, degree requirements your courses satisfy and different majors that institutions offer.

Your home institution has the final say about accepting courses for transfer. Before registering, discuss your plans with your home institution.

STEP 3. Determine course availability

STEP 4. Satisfy course pre-requisites before you register

A BHC Advisor will ask you to document that you’ve met any pre-requisite by providing unofficial transcripts of completed course work. An advisor may also request to see your placement and/or ACT test scores.

Email a BHC advisor at

  • Your email should include the BHC course (i.e. PSYC 101); your first name, middle initial and last name; your birthdate and a contact phone number.
  • Make a .pdf copy of your transcript and attach it to an email to the Advising Center at Do not send us a link to your transcript. In most cases we cannot open them due to password protection.
  • The transcript must clearly include your name; the college name; course numbers, names and credits; attendance dates; final grades and cumulative GPA.
  • An advisor will review your transcript and respond to you by email or phone. If you’ve met the prerequisite, the advisor will enter an override on your account so you can register.

STEP 5. Final details

What can I do if I haven’t decided what to study, or am nervous about my preparation for college?

It’s fairly common to be undecided about your future or how to get the most from college as a new, or returning, student. BHC’s faculty and professional staff can help you with these important concerns.
College Credit Course

CES 100: College Experience and Success (3 credits)
This course is highly recommended for first-time college students who want to improve their readiness for college-level studies, promote their academic success and get the most from being a college student.

Career Services Center (CSC)
Visit the CSC to learn about the wide range of career options available. Take a career assessment of your skills and interests to discover career possibilities that may be good fits for you. You can also learn now to research careers and job openings. Also, watch for career workshops offered throughout the year!

Educational advisors will assist you with college readiness, student know-how, self-discovery, goal setting, and career exploration so you get the most from your college experience.

Meet with a BHC counselor to take a variety of career or personal inventories which can assist you with career and educational planning.

Is there a difference between career programs and transfer programs of study?

Career programs range from short-term certificate programs to Associate of Applied Science degrees. Career programs give you up-to-date skills that prepare you to enter the workforce.

Transfer programs prepare you to continue your studies at a four-year university or college. At Black Hawk College you’ll earn an associate degree in all transfer programs, complete the general education courses accepted by most universities, and begin taking courses in your major area.

Can I attend part-time to earn a degree or certificate?

Absolutely! With good planning, you can attend BHC part-time and progress toward your goal. Meet with your advisor every semester to stay on track.

The course load that is best for you depends on a variety of factors, such as other commitments, study skills, time-management skills, and self-discipline. To determine the course load which is most appropriate for you, please refer to the following guidelines:

Employment obligations
Working 40 hours per week
Working 30 hours per week
Working 20 hours per week
Working less than 20 hours        
Course load if working
3-6 credit hours
3-9 credit hours
6-12 credit hours
12-18 credit hours