How do I register for classes?

If you are still in high school, you must meet with your school counselor to be referred to the Optional Education Programs.

If you are not currently enrolled in high school, call 309-755-3300 for registration information.

If I decide to enroll in the GED program, will I be able to go to college?

GED graduates are eligible to enroll in college classes. While GED graduates with high GED and college entrance scores may go directly to a four-year institution, many begin college at a community college like Black Hawk College. A college-bound GED student should strive to earn scores that are higher than the minimum passing score. The student should also consider enrolling in keyboarding and introductory computer classes. Typing and computer skills will make the transition to college much easier.

If I decide to enroll in the GED program, what classes will I take?

GED students prepare to demonstrate that they have the same skills as the average high school graduate in five fields: Literature and the Arts, Writing Skills, Science, Social Studies, and Mathematics. Students are tested when they enroll to help determine what areas need attention. Instructors then work with students to design a program that meets individual needs.

Is Optional Education a faster way to earn credit?

Students have the potential to earn credit more quickly in their home schools. Students who complete a full schedule of classes at the home school have the potential to earn 7 credits per year. Optional Education has a shorter day (4 or 5 hours), so students can only expect to complete 4 to 5 credits during an academic year. Some students earn less due to poor attendance or productivity

How do students earn credit?

Cooperating schools require students to attend a class for a specified number of hours per .5 credit. While in attendance, students must complete the required assigned work at a passing level. Each class completed is worth one-half credit. Credit cannot be earned unless both attendance and work requirements are met.

How many students are usually in my Academic ESL class?

We try to keep our class size to about 15 students, so that students can get personal attention from the instructor and work easily with classmates.

Do I get academic credit for the courses in the ESL Program?

Most of the classes in the ESL Program are developmental courses. This means that students take these classes to prepare them to take college-level classes, so students do not receive academic credit for these classes. But if you take ESL 078/Comm 100 or ESL 072/Comm 105, you will receive academic credits for these classes while enrolled in the ESL Program.

When can I begin the Academic ESL Program?

You can begin the academic ESL Program at three different times each year.
*Fall Semester usually begins at the end of August and continues until the middle of December.
*Spring Semester usually begins in the middle of January and ends in the middle of May.
*Summer Session usually begins in the middle of June and ends in the middle of July (This is an intensive six-week session.).

Is there financial assistance for the classes in the ESL students?

Eligible permanent residents or citizens may apply for Federal Student Financial Aid (FAFSA) to pay for tuition and books. Some limited scholarships are available for ESL students through the Black Hawk College Foundation.

Do I have to pay for these ESL classes?

Yes. The classes in the ESL Program are 4 or 5 credit-hour-classes, so the students need to pay tuition based on the current per-credit-hour fee.