Begin your Science Major at black hawk college
The Natural Sciences and Engineering Department offers a variety of science courses that will satisfy the first two years of study at many 4-year institutions. No matter what your focus area, faculty and advisers work with you to create a transfer plan to the school of your choice.
Areas of Focus
BHC students transfer into many science majors to complete a bachelor’s degree. Here are a few sample transfer plans:
- Biological Sciences
- Pre-Physical Therapy
- Pre-Physician Assistant
- Pre-Veterinary Medicine
Where do you want to transfer?
If you already have a transfer school in mind, your adviser will customize a transfer plan for that college or university. BHC also has many transfer guides and agreements already established with 4-year institutions in a variety of majors.
Transfer Guides and Agreements »
Students taking courses in the Natural Sciences and Engineering Department go on to careers in many fields, such as Agriculture, Animal Science, Engineering, Health Administration, Medicine, Molecular Genetics, Nursing, Chiropractic, Pharmacy, Physical Therapy, Physician Assistant, and Veterinary Medicine.
State-of-the-art laboratory facilities offer hands-on learning in chemistry, engineering, and biology.
- Specialized laboratory spaces and equipment.
- Grow room and outdoor learning spaces.
- Scanning electron microscope.
- Chemical analysis instruments.
- Molecular biology equipment.
- Science Resources Lab with microscopes, models, computers and tutoring available from faculty members.
In addition to chemistry, biology and physics, we offer elective courses in nutrition or astronomy that can fulfill degree requirements.
Faculty serve as advisers for science-related clubs, which offer students opportunities for field trip and campus events.
- Clean Sphere Environmental Club – Quad-Cities Campus
- Sci Pi Club – East Campus
- Phi Theta Kappa Honor Society
- Natural Science & Engineering Scholarship: This scholarship was established by faculty in the Black Hawk College Natural Science and Engineering Department for science and engineering students. The scholarship is administered through the Black Hawk Foundation.
- BHC Presidential Scholarship: In-district high school seniors in the top 10% of their graduating class at the end of seven semesters are eligible for the Black Hawk College Presidential Scholars Award.
- Other BHC scholarship opportunities can be found at the BHC scholarships page.
- Transfer scholarships are also available at many transfer institutions.
Students may participate in research projects on both the East Campus and Quad Cities Campus. Previous projects have included surveying pollinators in nearby state forest, biological and physical sampling of a campus stream and molecular analysis of local flora and fauna for conservation studies.
Associate Degree Information
|Associate in Science||1545||64||Humanities, Language & JournalismMathematicsNatural Sciences & Engineering|
|Associate in Arts||1045||64||Humanities, Language & JournalismMathematicsNatural Sciences & Engineering|