Black Hawk College is monitoring the coronavirus – COVID-19 – outbreak and will provide updates on this page.
June 18, 2020
Plans for Fall Term
Dear Black Hawk College Current and Future Students:
As you may know, changes to fall 2020 are forthcoming. The details for fall will be available to students on or before July 1st. These changes may take longer to be reflected in our registration system. However, the college plans to contact each student impacted by any proposed schedule changes. For now, we can share the following changes:
- The Fall 2020 academic calendar will remain unchanged.
- Courses originally scheduled to be online will remain online.
- Courses originally scheduled with some or all face-to-face instruction that do not require it will be changed to online.
- Courses with lecture and lab components that do not require face-to-face instruction will be changed to online. Those that do require face-to-face instruction will be blended with online lectures and face-to-face labs.
- Starting November 30, all courses will be completed online, including finals, for the remainder of the semester.
Once changes are finalized our website and systems will be updated accordingly. These updates will include fall 2020 schedule changes and information on how to access resources such as our laptop assistance program and our “How to Be a Successful Online Learner” free workshop.
When the decision to move to remote learning was made last March, we had no way to know how the coronavirus outbreak would change our lives or for how long. We did know, however, it was serious and our first responsibility was the safety and wellbeing of our employees, students and community.
Following the safety guidelines from the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), Illinois Department of Public Health (IDPH) and the Restore Illinois Plan, we quickly pivoted from in-person to online instruction. Our faculty and staff were, and continue to be, committed to providing you with the best possible learning experience under the circumstances.
We believe the steps we are taking will provide the structure necessary for you to achieve your academic goals and the flexibility needed to adapt as circumstances change.
COVID-19 reminds us that very few things in life are certain. One thing I personally believe is certain, however, is that the value of a quality education is the cornerstone of a better future.
Screening for Visitors to Campus
At this time, all visitors to campus, including employees and students, must meet the requirements in the COVID-19 screening notice (PDF). This notice is also posted at building entrances and is subject to change.
Employees with questions should contact:
Director of Human Resources
Students with questions should contact:
Dr. LaDrina Wilson
Vice President for Student Services
- Adult Education classes (GED, ESL, High School Completion) will begin August 17. For registration information, please call or email:
- All Professional and Continuing Education (PaCE) classes are cancelled until further notice. Call 309-796-8223 or email firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
- All Business Training Center classes are postponed until further notice. The BTC office will contact you once we return to the office. For questions or correspondence, please email email@example.com.
The college encourages you to be proactive during this time and stay informed. The coronavirus situation is ever evolving and your best defense is to practice good health habits. We also encourage our college community to be supportive and speak out against negative and stigmatizing behavior.
Message to Black Hawk College Students – June 18, 2020 (PDF)
Message to Black Hawk College Employees – June 17, 2020 (PDF)
Message to Black Hawk College Students – Summer Student Services – June 8, 2020 (PDF)
Message to Black Hawk College Employees – May 29, 2020 (PDF)
Message to Black Hawk College Employees – May 20, 2020 (PDF)
Message to Black Hawk College Students – April 24, 2020 (PDF)
Message to Black Hawk College Employees – April 14, 2020 (PDF)
Message to Black Hawk College Employees – April 1, 2020 (PDF)
Message to Black Hawk College Students – March 27, 2020 (PDF)
Message to Black Hawk College Students – Online Student Services – March 21, 2020 (PDF)
Message to Black Hawk College Students – March 21, 2020 (PDF)
Message to Black Hawk College Students – March 20, 2020 (PDF)
Message to Black Hawk College Employees – March 20, 2020 (PDF)
Message to Black Hawk College Employees – March 15, 2020 (PDF)
Message to Black Hawk College Students – March 13, 2020 (PDF)
Message to Black Hawk College Employees – March 13, 2020 (PDF)
Message about Coronavirus update – March 10, 2020 (PDF)
Message to students and employees – March 3, 2020 (PDF)