Adult Education

Adult Education classes are non-credit and are provided at no cost to learners who qualify. Students acquire basic academic skills that assist them in transitioning to employment, training and postsecondary education. Black Hawk College holds classes at learning centers throughout the district.


Requirements vary by program. Select a program for details and contact Adult Education for additional information.

Program Name

Adult Education English as a Second Language (ESL)
Volunteer Literacy
Optional Education & Youth GED®

Support Services


Bus tickets are available to students who receive public assistance, are unemployed or underemployed (determined by income). To request bus tickets, please ask at the class site location.

Child care

The Community Child Care Resource and Referral Center can assist in locating child care services for daytime or evening classes. Call 563-324-1302.

Services for students with disabilities

If you will need accommodations due to a disability (e.g. sign language interpreter, special seating) to participate in any BHC activity or program, please call the BHC Quad-Cities Campus Disability Services Office at 309-796-5900 or 309-716-3310 (video phone) or contact Adult Education staff at 309-796-8216. A one-week advance notice of accommodation needs is recommended. For more information visit Disability Services.

Parenting preparation

Pregnant and parenting students have access to individual counseling sessions as well as family living, nutrition, and child care and development classes.

Community linkages

With the student’s permission, Optional Education will coordinate services and goals with social service agencies, psychologists, psychiatrists, court services and drug/alcohol programs.

Counseling – Optional Education

The Youth Service Bureau provides counseling services to students enrolled in the Optional Education program.

Adult Education

Before you enroll in the ESL Program, you will be given a language placement test. Your level is determined by your score on the test. For more information about ESL classes, please call 309-796-5183.

The owner of this website has made a commitment to accessibility and inclusion, please report any problems that you encounter using the contact form on this website. This site uses the WP ADA Compliance Check plugin to enhance accessibility.
Registration for Summer and Fall classes is now available.Register for Classes