Black Hawk College is an open enrollment college. This means that students are accepted into the college regardless of high school coursework and grades, or prior testing such as the SAT or ACT.
As a community college, Black Hawk College offers classes which are either college-level or developmental-level in order to meet individual needs.
Accuplacer test scores are used to place students into courses that are appropriate for their academic skill-level and to determine a student’s placement in:
- College-level courses (classes with course numbers 100 and above)
- Developmental Education courses (classes with course numbers under 100)
|You may not need to take the entire Accuplacer if:|
|1. You are enrolling in less than 6 credits AND will not accumulate more than 6 credits AND are taking a class with no prerequisites. OR|
|2. You have successfully completed college coursework at another college or university. Contact an Advisor to determine if you need to complete Accuplacer: www.bhc.edu/advising OR|
|3. You have taken the SAT or ACT test within the past two years and scored at or above the required scores for individual sections as indicated below:|
|To check if your SAT or ACT scores have been received:
· Login to myBlackHawk (Reference the Welcome Letter that was sent to your email or home for login instructions.)
· Click on the following: Student Tab > Students click here to > Student Records > Test Scores
Cost of test/retest:
- Black Hawk College students may take the Accuplacer test free of charge one time per year (September 1-August 31).
- If you wish to retake the Accuplacer test during the same academic year, the cost is $15.00 per individual subject test or $30 for the entire test.
- Students who will use these test scores for placement at another college are charged $30.00 whether the student is taking an individual test or the entire test.
- Payment in cash or check is accepted prior to testing. NO DEBIT or CREDIT CARDS ARE ACCEPTED.
Students who need to take the Accuplacer test with accommodations based on their disability should contact Disability Services at the East Campus at (309) 854-1713 or at the Quad Cities Campus at (309) 796-5949 or TTY (309) 796-5903 to make testing arrangements. The Accuplacer test is untimed.
English as a Second Language
If English is your second language, it is REQUIRED that you take MICHIGAN TEST. (Call 796-5125 or 796-5183 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.)
Things to remember on the day of the test:
- Bring a picture ID. (Driver’s License is preferred.)
- Bring your Black Hawk College ID number. You must have applied to BHC AND have your ID number before taking the placement test.
- Bring your SAT or ACT score report if you are exempt from parts of the test.
- The testing is free once each academic year for BHC students.
- Bring a check or cash and pay prior to testing if you are retaking the test.
What should I STUDY before taking the Accuplacer test?
- For sample tests and more information visit www.accuplacer.org
- Click on the “Information for Students” button, you will have access to sample questions or several other options but they may have a fee.
We HIGHLY encourage students to review the sample questions as course placement is determined by Accuplacer results.
(Optional: Biology and Chemistry Competency Exams for Anatomy and Physiology is also available to students that are interested in waiving the prerequisite of Biology 100, 101 or 105 and Chemistry 101 or 110.)
Accuplacer Testing Schedule
Walk-in for Accuplacer only OR call ahead to schedule an Accuplacer test and an advising appointment for the same day (309) 854-1709.
Building A, Room 239 (ILC)
Mondays, Tuesdays and Fridays: 10 a.m. – 3 p.m.
Wednesdays: 10 a.m. – 1 p.m.
Thursdays: 12 p.m. – 5 p.m.
Closed weekends and holidays.
Quad Cities Campus
Walk-in at the top of the hour
Building 1, Room 313
Mondays through Thursdays: 9 a.m. – 3 p.m.
Fridays: 9 a.m. – 1 p.m.
Scheduled: To reserve a seat on Monday or Wednesday evenings at 6 p.m., call (309) 796-5982 or (309) 796-5100.
Last updated 05/30/2017