The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is your application for federal and state grants, work study, and student loans. The 2023-24 FAFSA will be available October 1, 2022 at www.fafsa.gov. Students are encouraged to submit their FAFSA as early as possible (before June 1, 2023).
We’re here to help!
The Black Hawk College Financial Aid Office provides a variety of support resources and partnerships to encourage early and successful FAFSA completion:
- Webinars and on-demand videos.
- Virtual, one-on-one FAFSA completion assistance.
- On-campus FAFSA completion events with limited attendance and social distancing.
Once your FAFSA is submitted, use our BHC Financial Aid Checklist 2023-24 (PDF) to stay on track!
Gather your materials: Before getting started, you will want to:
- Determine whose information you need. Review how the FAFSA will determine your dependency status and which parent’s information should be reported.
- Get an FSA ID. Students and parents can create an FSA ID before October 1.
- Collect needed documents. Be prepared to provide required information and 2021 tax documents as you fill out the application.
Learn what to expect:
Watch a recording of our 2023-24 FAFSA & Financial Aid presentation for tips on what to expect and how to successfully complete your FAFSA!
Complete the FAFSA
Where to go:
Beginning October 1, 2022, you can visit www.fafsa.gov to get started online.
Get help completing your FAFSA
- QC Campus FAFSA Completion Night (Oct. 26, 4:00 – 7:00 p.m.) Register for QC FAFSA Night.
- East Campus FAFSA Completion Night (Nov. 2, 4:00 – 7:00 p.m.) Register for East Campus FAFSA Night.
- *VIRTUAL* BHC FAFSA Completion Appointment. Register for Virtual FAFSA.
- ISACorps provides college outreach and financial aid assistance in our local community. Find your local ISACorps member here.
- FAFSA Help Center can provide technical assistance along with help on evenings and weekends – they even have a convenient chat feature!
- FAFSA Overview
- How to Create Your FSA ID
- How to Fill Out the FAFSA
- After the FAFSA: What Happens Next
- How to Complete the 2023-24 FAFSA
- BHC Financial Aid Checklist 2023-24 (PDF)
- Creating and Using the FSA ID
- Am I Dependent or Independent?
- Who Is My Parent When I Fill Out the FAFSA?
Alternative Application for Illinois Financial Aid
A separate financial aid application for eligible undocumented students and transgender students who are disqualified from federal financial aid. Review additional details regarding the Retention of Illinois Students & Equity (RISE) Act and Alternative Application for Illinois Financial Aid, available through ISAC.