Applications for CARES Grants in 2020 have now closed. Information regarding CARES 2021 Grants can be found at www.bhc.edu/cares2021.
The Black Hawk College CARES Grant was made possible by the Emergency Financial Aid Grants to Students under the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act. Funding was intended to assist students with expenses related to the disruption of campus operations due to COVID-19. All awards adhered to federal statutory and regulatory requirements.
CARES Act Higher Education Emergency Relief Fund (HEERF) Compliance Reporting
|Student Aid Portion Reporting||Institutional Portion + Strengthening Institutions Reporting|
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What is the CARES Act?
The CARES Act is federal legislation which provides a variety of financial support to individuals and organizations affected by the COVID-19 (novel coronavirus) pandemic. One part of this federal program allocates money to colleges and universities, and portions of this allocation can be awarded to students who are experiencing financial expenses due to COVID-19 and its related impacts.
2. Who can apply for a CARES Act grant?
Students at Black Hawk College who were enrolled in fall semester courses as of Monday August 31, 2020, and have experienced hardship due to the COVID-19 pandemic could be eligible to apply for an emergency grant. In order to apply, students must have completed a Free Application for Federal Student Aid in the 2020-21 academic year, and they must fill out the CARES Act grant application in the myBlackHawk student portal.
3. What kinds of expenses are allowable to be covered by this grant?
Funds from the CARES Act grant may be used for expenses related to the disruption of campus operations due to COVID-19, including food, housing, course materials, technology, health care, tuition or child care.
4. How much can I apply for?
- Students enrolled in fall semester between 1-5 credits were eligible for a maximum of $500 in support.
- Students enrolled in fall semester for 6 or more credits were eligible for a maximum of $1,000 in support. There was a limited amount granted to the College, and we appreciated students asking for the amount needed so that we can serve as many students as possible.
5. How do I apply?
The Fall 2020 CARES Grant application is now closed.
6. After I apply, how do I find out if I received an emergency grant?
Black Hawk College students will be notified via their myBlackHawk email at least 10 business days after receipt of a completed CARES Act grant application. The grant applications are reviewed in the order received.
7. Does the money need to be repaid?
No, the money received through this CARES Act grant fund does not need to be repaid.
8. Would this funding reduce my financial aid?
No, the CARES Act grant funding does not impact your eligibility for other financial aid and it is a one-time grant for the fall semester.
9. What is the deadline to apply?
Applications will continue to be reviewed until funds are depleted or Dec. 15, 2020, whichever occurs first.
10. What additional resources are available if I need access to food?
Listings of local food assistance locations.
Additionally, the River Bend Food Bank searchable directory will locate the nearest resource based on your location.
11. Are there other financial aid options available?
If you or your parent (included on the FAFSA) have experienced a significant reduction in income, you may qualify for an adjustment to your 2020-21 financial aid application. Complete the [Download not found] for an initial review.
12. I attended Black Hawk College in spring 2020 semester and already received a CARES Act grant at that time. Can I fill out a CARES Act grant application for fall semester as well?
Yes, qualifying students may fill out a CARES Act grant application for fall semester even if they were awarded one at Black Hawk College in spring semester.
13. Is this grant includible in my gross income for taxes?
No. Please refer to the IRS FAQ for further details.
14. Will I be able to claim a tuition and fees deduction for items that the grant proceeds were used to cover?
Please refer to the IRS FAQ for further details.
15. Who can I contact for more information?
If you have questions, please email email@example.com.
16. Will Black Hawk College include the CARES student emergency grant funds on student’s 1098-T?
No, please refer to the IRS FAQ for further details.