AA vs. AAS Degree

Choosing your educational and career path can be overwhelming. For some people, the options seem endless; others can only see a few. Either way, you may need guidance.

The Black Hawk College Career Services Center can assist individuals who:
• are uncertain about career goals
• want to become more employable
• are seeking entry-level positions
• are in career transition

Black Hawk College offers different levels of education depending on your educational or career goals.

Career Programs – If your goal is to get trained in a particular career with specific skills, you may be interested in BHC’s career programs. Earn either a degree (AAS) or a certificate (certificates may be part of an AAS degree). Courses will apply directly to your career program and are, for the most part, not meant to work toward a higher degree. General education courses (i.e. English, math, etc.) are few and because of the level, may not be transferable.

Transfer Degrees – If your goal is to work toward a higher degree (bachelor’s degree), or you are undecided about any major, you may earn an Associate in Arts (AA), Associate in Science (AS), or Associate in Liberal Studies (ALS). These degrees require more general education courses (i.e. English, math, science, etc.). Less coursework toward a specific major is required since most of your major courses will be completed at your transfer college/university.