Students meet Gov. Pritzker at BHC stop

BHC student Lauren Rogan at podium and speaking to IL Gov Pitzker
Gov. JB Pritzker and 2023 BHC grad Lauren Rogan

Some BHC students got to meet Illinois Gov. JB Pritzker when he stopped by the Quad-Cities Campus June 6 for a news conference about higher education funding.

The state’s fiscal year 2024 budget includes a $19.4 million increase in community college funding and a $100 million increase in Monetary Award Program (MAP) grant funding.

2023 BHC grad Lauren Rogan spoke about the impact of receiving a MAP grant.

“During the first few months of school, I was working a full-time job as well as going to school full time. I received a MAP grant and I was able to take a part-time job at the school and focus on my studies,” Rogan said.

“This helped me to feel comfortable joining the Honors Program at Black Hawk, and I was able to maintain my grades to become a member of Phi Theta Kappa (honor society).

“Most importantly, I was able to graduate debt free,” she said.

Rogan is transferring to the University of Illinois Springfield where she also will be a MAP grant recipient.

6 BHC students & their advisor with Illinois Gov. JB Pritzker
BHC Multicultural and Entrepreneurial Center students with Gov. JB Pritzker

After the news conference, a group of students from the college’s Multicultural Entrepreneurial Center also had a chance to talk to the governor.

View more photos from the news conference on Facebook.

Media coverage:

The owner of this website has made a commitment to accessibility and inclusion, please report any problems that you encounter using the contact form on this website. This site uses the WP ADA Compliance Check plugin to enhance accessibility.
Registration for Summer and Fall classes is now available.Register for Classes
+ +