Two Black Hawk College students recently won awards in the Figge Art Museum College Invitational.
Andrew Forsterling took second place and Lillian Smith received an honorable mention.
The exhibit features artwork by 41 students from eight area colleges and universities – Augustana College, Black Hawk College, Clinton Community College, Knox College, Monmouth College, Scott Community College, St. Ambrose University and Western Illinois University.
Art professors at the participating colleges selected the top works from their schools for the invitational.
Seven BHC student artists have artwork in the exhibit:
- Alondra Alegre of Moline – “Found Salvation” – assemblage with found objects
- Koby Brooks of Prophetstown – “Little Creek” – digital photograph
- Ella Crockett of Atkinson – “A Piece of Pie” – watercolor with pen and ink
- Andrew Forsterling of East Moline – “Freeing my Craziness” – oil pastel on paper
- Shakira’a Gbenyo of Milan – “Space of Uncertainty” – oil pastel
- Zoe Petersen of Colona – “Enchanted Dreams” – assemblage with found objects
- Lillian Smith of Rock Island – “Dandelion Wish” – digital composite
Their work is on display through Sunday, Aug. 28 in the Mary Waterman Gildehaus Community Gallery on the first floor of the museum at 225 W. Second St. in downtown Davenport, Iowa. Admission to the Figge is free for BHC students and employees.
The Figge Art Museum College Invitational is sponsored by Alan C. Marin, the Brand Boeshaar Foundation Fund and the Hubbell Waterman Foundation.