April is designated as Community College Month. It is a time to celebrate a uniquely American institution, a place where anyone from any walk of life can become a college student.
From the beginning, Black Hawk College has been here to serve the community. The college began in 1946 as Moline Community College to accommodate World War II veterans seeking higher education.
A lot has changed in 75 years, but one thing has not – Black Hawk College is still here, adapting and evolving to continue serving the needs of the community.
Black Hawk College offers opportunities for:
- High school students to earn college-credit while still in high school.
- Recent grads as well as adult learners to get an education and quickly enter the workforce.
- Businesses to hire local employees with specialized skills and training.
- Immigrants to learn English and become part of their new community.
Want to become a Black Hawk College student? Apply for free April 18-24.
Registration for summer and fall classes begins Tuesday, April 6. Check out summer and fall class offerings on the Schedule of Classes page.
Join us this month in celebrating Black Hawk College and our students. Here are some of the events we have planned:
- ArtSpace Gallery Student Art Exhibition (April 12 through May 14)
- BHC Signing Days at the Quad-Cities Campus (April 21) and in Cambridge (April 30)
- East Campus Spring Visit Days – April 8, April 9, April 15, April 16, April 22 and April 23
- Illinois community colleges virtual career fair – April 9
- Scholarship Information Session – April 7
- Virtual Explore BHC Days – April 9, April 16 and April 30
- Virtual Parent Night (QC Campus) – April 27
And don’t forget to apply for fall scholarships!