There are pumpkin auctions around the country this time of the year, but, on a per-pumpkin-basis, probably none can compare to the Annual Stampede Auction of Champion Pumpkins at Black Hawk College East Campus.
On Oct. 30, auctioneer and East Campus alumnus Bill LeSage persuaded the audience of generous students, faculty, staff and friends to spend a grand total $6,525 on 14 pumpkin lots, all to benefit the Kewanee Area United Way.
Pumpkins were evaluated by the Sophomore Livestock Judging Team, who gave all of the reasons you wanted to be the high bidder on each lot. Other team members were bid spotters.
The 14 sale lots included not only fresh pumpkins, but also floral, fabric and wooden ones. This year’s pumpkins were donated by Nature’s Creations Greenhouse and Farm, David Harris, Frank’s Pumpkins, Stark County Design, Snyder Family Farms LLC, Travis & Heather Hochstatter, Grateful Designs, Tanner’s Orchard and Deb Rhoades.
This year’s top bid was $1,200 from the BHC Livestock Judging Team.
Other winning bids were:
- Black Hawk College staff – Dr. Jeff Hawes, Dr. Alan Abbott & Carla Hillman
- Black Hawk College East Foundation, ABCA Board & Jon Looney
- Black Hawk College Veterinary Sciences faculty
- Black Hawk College Agribusiness Club/Equine Program
- Wallace family – Ennis, Karen & Kip
- Walsh brothers – Daniel & Clayton
- Lee Denzer family
- David Harris family/East Campus Small Engine Repair summer class
- Western Illinois University BHE Livestock Judging Alumni
- Tyler Wellman family/BHE Alumni/Iowa State
- The Hoges – Nolan, Nora & Carter
- Dan, Deanna & Kathy Hoge
- Boyert Cattle Co.