It is National Transfer Student Week! Black Hawk College is a great place to earn the first half of your bachelor’s degree.
Earning an associate degree at Black Hawk College is an affordable option where you get an excellent education close to home.
There are several associate degree options available and plenty of resources available to help make your transfer plans successful!Transfer Programs
National Transfer Student Week activities
The week is kicking off Monday, Oct. 15 with a FAFSA Completion Night at the Quad-Cities Campus from 4-7 p.m. in the ESL Computer Lab in Building 1.
At the East Campus, the FAFSA Completion Night will be Monday, Nov. 5 from 4-7 p.m. in the Testing Center in Building A, Room 239.
Every day during National Transfer Student Week, a transfer college will be at the Quad-Cities Campus. Stop by and see if the school might be the one for you.
All week students can participate in TRANSFERNATION to earn a grab bag of seasonal treats in the First Stop Center in Building 1.
Discover where your classmates are transferring and let others know of your plans, too.
The week will wrap up with College Friday. Wear any college gear and enter to win transfer school swag in the First Stop Center.
National Transfer Student Week was created by The National Institute for the Study of Transfer Students.
Transfer options and student stories
Black Hawk College participates in the Illinois Articulation Initiative (IAI) which aids transferability of degrees and courses to more than 100 Illinois institutions.
About 130 transfer agreements and guides are also in place covering programs from accounting to theatre with about 23 four-year colleges and universities in Illinois, Iowa and beyond.
While many BHC students opt to transfer to Midwestern schools, we can work with students to help them transfer anywhere.
Kevin Wolak transferred from Black Hawk College to the University of Central Florida in 2016 and said the process went very smoothly. He wants students to know “how easy it is to transfer from here to even a university in Florida. Black Hawk College knows what it is doing in regards to transfer!” Wolak is now applying to physical therapy schools.
Terry Fillmer, a 2013 BHC graduate, took classes at Black Hawk College and Western Illinois University at the same time and earned his bachelor’s degree at Western. “The transfer advisors work so well together with WIU advisors,” Fillmer said. “I felt very comfortable knowing they knew each other well and what the requirements were for each college and university.” Fillmer is now a news producer at WHBF-TV/KLJB.
Black Hawk College transfer student tips
Are you a transfer student or considering becoming one? Here are some tips:
- Plan to meet with your Black Hawk College advisor each semester about your transfer curriculum.
- Use guides to help you succeed. Sample Transfer Plans are available here if you are not sure where you are transferring yet. Transfer Agreements and Plans are available here if you know where you want to transfer.
- Apply nine months to a year prior to the enrollment date to the transfer college or university of your choice.
- Inquire about scholarships at the college or university you will transfer to a year before enrollment and make sure to apply for them by the deadline for your first academic year there.
- Have official transcripts from Black Hawk College sent to the college or university you want to transfer to upon application and after each semester is completed.
- Make an appointment to discuss transfer plans with an advisor at the college or university you plan to attend one year prior to transfer.
- Apply for financial aid as soon as possible for the next academic year. Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) becomes available on Oct. 1 each year.
- If you will be moving to off-campus housing for school, begin your housing search six to nine months prior to enrollment at the four-year college or university.
- Pick up or purchase textbooks at your earliest convenience so you are prepared for the semester.
- Visit your classrooms and move into your new place one week prior to beginning of classes to get settled in before that busy first week.
Please do not hesitate to reach out to your advisor at any time, no matter where you are in the transfer process.
Black Hawk College can help you investigate majors, admission requirements and more as you work on deciding the best transfer approach for you.
If you know what path you are taking, but just want to check in to make sure you’re still on the right track, we’re here for that, too!
Happy National Transfer Student Week!