This season there are 13 colleges competing in Zone 7, Region 5 (central and western Illinois, Iowa, Missouri, Oklahoma and Kansas) with the return of Kansas State University.
Black Hawk College now leads Region 5 by eight points.
“There are seven meets left this season, and it is our goal to finish this season with a 10th consecutive Regional Team Championship!” said Donna Irvin, professor of equestrian science and one of the team’s coaches.
The other BHC ISHA Team coaches are Drew Cotton, assistant professor of horse science, and Brooke Byers, instructor of horse science.
The BHC IHSA Team roster consists of 41 full-time students of varying levels.
The team competition represents riders from six divisions making it very challenging and broad-based. This year’s team is strong since there are several returning students from last year’s team that finished seventh in the nation.
Seventeen students traveled to Truman State to compete in the two-day event. Alex Miller, a third-year student, led the team in the open division winning Reserve High Point the first day and High Point Open Rider the second day.
The combined totals in both Open and Reining put the points on the board and set the pace for the rest of the riders. Miller is in his third season competing in this Division and was a National Qualifier as a freshman.
Another strength this year is Advanced Rider Brooke Catterton who finished first and fifth. She was also a member of the National Team last season. Intermediate Rider Haley McWorter, who was Reserve National Champion Team Rider last season, finished first at both meets and is now Regionally Qualified. New riders in the Beginner Division also rode strong, winning four first place finishes.
Here are the individual results:
- Alex Miller of Claypool, IN — Reining 2nd, 1st Open 3rd, 3rd
- Shelby Brenner of Hopkins, MO — Reining 5th, 6th Open 7th
- Brooke Catterton of Harwood, MD — Advanced 1st, 5th
- Jessie Rasmussen of Summit Lake, WI — Novice 3rd, 3rd
- Brooke Parrish of Elmwood, IL — Novice 6th, 4th
- Cally Matthews of Highland, IL — Alumni 2nd, 1st
- Nicole Norton of Minooka, IL — Intermediate 1st, 3rd
- Becca Janes of Peotone, IL — Intermediate 1st, 3rd
- Haley McWhorter of Manito, IL — Intermediate 1st, 1st
- Lillie Berringer of Cascade, IA — Intermediate 4th, 1st
- Allison Gossett of Casey, IL, Intermediate 2nd, 2nd
- Olivia Quinton of Rossville, IN — Intermediate 1st, 1st
- Cheyenne Prowant of Joy, GA — Intermediate 3rd, 3rd
- Kyle Freeburn of Geneseo, IL — Beginner 5th, 1st
- Lisa Karaus of Palos Hills, IL — Beginner 1st, 1st
- Kaitlyn Frizzell of Lincoln, IL — Beginner 5th, 3rd
- Jayme Goesel of Mokena, IL — Beginner 6th, 1st
The team’s next meets are at Missouri State University the weekend of Oct. 31.
Black Hawk College will host the IHSA Western Semi-Finals (national qualifiers) in March 2016. This is a huge undertaking as there will be teams coming in from the East Coast, the West Coast, Montana and Nebraska.
Last updated 10/22/2015