With two contests as freshmen and two contests as sophomores, this team has remained undefeated.
For the second year in a row and the fifth of the last six years, the Black Hawk College East Campus Horse Judging Team, coached by Aaron Callahan, has brought home the title of World Champions. Following two spring contests last year as freshmen, the sophomore horse judging team members finished their BHC judging careers Nov. 16 as world champions at the American Quarter Horse World Show in Oklahoma City, Okla.
Team “A” came home World Champions by placing 1st Overall, 1st in Performance, 1st in Reasons and 2nd in Halter. Team “B” followed with a 2nd in Performance, 4th in Halter and 4th in Reasons to earn a 3rd Overall placing.
This contest followed the All American Quarter Horse Congress contest in October when the team placed first Overall for the sixth time in seven years, earning firsts in all categories: Halter, Performance and Reasons.
Congress Overall Individual rankings, BHC had six students place in the top 10 rankings:
• Lauren Wells of Benfield, Ill. — 1st Overall, 1st Halter, 1st Performance, 2nd Reasons
• Faith Schliech of Monmouth, Ill. – 2nd Overall, 2nd Halter, 7th Reasons, 9th Performance
• Brice Howell of Greentown, Ind. – 3rd Overall, 3rd Performance, 4th Reasons
• Tillie Brotherton of Central Point, Ore. — 7th Overall, 5th Performance, 8th Reasons
• Kayla Wells of Aurora, Ill. — 8th Overall, 6th Performance, 10th Halter , 10th Reasons
• Brooke Fruits of Auburn, Ind. – 10th Overall, 4th Halter, 6th Reasons
• Emily Ericson of Hudsonville, Mich. – 4th Performance
• Kayla Bridgeman of Ewing, Mo. rounded out the team.
World Overall Individual rankings, BHC had six students place in the top 10 rankings:
• Kayla Wells of Aurora, Ill. — 1st Overall, 1st Performance, 1st Reasons, 7th Halter
• Lauren Wells of Benfield, Ill. – 2nd Overall, 2nd Performance, 4th Reasons, 5th Halter
• Brice Howell of Greentown, Ind. – 3rd Overall, 3rd Halter, 5th Performance, 8th Reasons
• Brooke Fruits of Auburn, Ind. – 6th Overall, 3rd Performance, 9th Reasons
• Emily Ericson of Hudsonville, Mich. – 9th Overall, 8th Halter, 8th Performance
• Kayla Bridgeman of Ewing, Mo. – 6th Performance
• Tillie Brotherton of Central Point, Ore. — 9th Halter
• Faith Schliech of Monmouth, Ill. – rounded out the team
The freshmen now take over the reins in their first competition for the horse judging team at the MTSU (Middle Tennessee State University) Spring Contest during the last week of March.