Rights and responsibilities of students with disabilities at Black Hawk College
In accordance with the Americans w/Disabilities Act of 1990, Amendment Acts of 2008 and 2016, and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, students with disabilities [link this to the Laws section marked as “students with disabilities” in red near the end of this doc] and Black Hawk College share the following rights and responsibilities:
Students who attend Black Hawk College have the right to:
- Equal access to all educational opportunities offered at BHC. This includes services, programs, courses, activities, jobs, and facilities;
- Equal opportunity to learn and receive reasonable accommodations and services;
- Confidentiality of all disability documentation as well as the right to decide which parties outside BHC may receive this information, whenever appropriate; and
- Information about services, programs and /or resources available in accessible formats (print, large print, audio, Interpreter, etc.).
Students who attend Black Hawk College have the responsibility to:
- Meet qualification criteria and maintain essential institutional conduct for services, programs, courses, activities, jobs and facilities;
- Provide required and sufficient documentation of disability from an appropriate professional and demonstrates how the disability is limiting in the participation of services, programs, courses, activities, jobs and facilities;
- Identify as a person with a disability when accommodation is needed and seek information, academic/personal counseling and assistance when needed; and
- Follow the appropriate procedures for obtaining reasonable accommodations and other services, such as providing the accommodation form from to your instructor, as well as accessing tutoring services.
- Take an active role in making accommodations work (give it your best shot) and in resolving concerns with appropriate professionals.
- Become familiar with all policies and responsibilities outlined in the Disability Services Manual.
Last updated 03/24/2017