« February 2017 » loading...
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
Sat 25

ArtSpace Gallery exhibit

February 13 - March 9
Sat 25

Scholastic Bowl

February 25 @ 8:00 am - 5:00 pm
Tue 28
Tue 28

Alumni Mentoring & Networking

February 28 @ 5:30 pm - 9:00 pm

View all »

What are the benefits of completing the Associate in Arts (AA) degree or the Associate in Science (AS) degree?

If you complete an AA or AS degree you will have the benefit of compact and/or course equivalency agreements which have been negotiated with four-year colleges and universities that allow you to transfer as a junior.

AA degree completion also fulfills the lower division general education courses prior to transfer.

The AS degree contains additional math and science requirements. In most cases, students transferring to an Illinois 4-year college or university will complete the lower division general education courses after transfer (one additional course in Humanities or Fine Arts and one additional course in Social and Behavioral Sciences).

Are the requirements for the AA and AS degrees different?

Beginning with the fall 2016 semester, there are differences between the Associate in Arts (AA) and the Associate in Science (AS) degrees. The AS degree has additional math and science requirements for graduation.   However, students have the option to graduate under the requirements in effect at their first enrollment, unless enrollment has been interrupted for two or more years.

Check with a Black Hawk advisor or the admission representative at your transfer school to determine if the AA or AS best meets your transfer goals.

What is the IAI?

The Illinois Articulation Initiative (IAI) is a statewide agreement of core general education courses that are transferable among more than 100 participating colleges and universities in Illinois.

AA degree: If you complete the Associate in Arts degree at Black Hawk College, you will also complete the Illinois Articulation Initiative General Education Core Curriculum. The IAI General Education Core Curriculum is embedded within the AA degree.

AS degree: If you complete the Associate in Science degree at Black Hawk College, you will substantially complete the Illinois Articulation Initiative General Education Core Curriculum. In most cases, you will take one additional course in Humanities or Fine Arts and one additional course in Social and Behavioral Sciences to complete the Illinois Articulation Initiative General Education Core Curriculum after transfer.

How can I tell if my courses will transfer?

You can use the transfer course equivalencies to find out if a course will transfer. If you don’t see your transfer school listed, contact the registrar at your transfer school or contact the Black Hawk College Articulation/Transfer Coordinator for assistance.

I know what my transfer major will be, but haven’t decided where to transfer. Which courses should I take?

Please contact a Black Hawk advisor to discuss whether you should follow the AA or AS degree requirements. Since major requirements vary from one transfer school to another, you should follow the recommendations for your transfer school as soon as you know which one you will attend.

Are there a maximum number of hours that I can transfer?

Most colleges and universities will allow you to transfer at least 60-64 hours. Some schools have no limit on the number of hours that may be transferred but still require that a minimum number of hours (usually 60 or more) be earned at the four-year college or university where you will earn your bachelor’s degree.

When should I apply to my transfer school for admission?

Apply up to one year in advance of the term you plan to transfer. If you plan to transfer next fall, you may apply as soon as the current fall term. Most colleges and universities have application deadlines by which applications and all supporting documents such as transcripts must be submitted. The deadlines are often two to five months prior to the start of the term of entry, but some colleges and universities allow students to apply as late as two to four weeks before the start of the term.

Will I have to submit my high school grades to my transfer school?

Your high school transcript is usually required; however, most colleges and universities will determine your eligibility for admission based on your college record once you have earned a specified number of semester hours. The number of semester hours required to be admitted based on your college record varies from school to school but usually ranges from 12-30 hours.

After I apply to my transfer school for admission, is there anything else I need to do?

After you apply to your transfer school you should pay the application fee and send any supporting documents required such as your high school transcript and all college transcripts. You should also complete financial aid and scholarship applications, as well as make arrangements for housing if you will be living away from home.

What can I do to improve my chances of getting a transfer scholarship?

Complete the scholarship application by the deadline. Earning excellent grades will also improve your chances of earning a scholarship. Many schools have transfer scholarships that are automatically awarded based on your grade point average. The higher your grades, the more money you are eligible to receive. Also, students who are members of Phi Theta Kappa honor society may be eligible for additional scholarships. (Phi Theta Kappa is open to students who have a grade point average of 3.5 or higher.) Apply for every scholarship that you qualify for. The more scholarships you apply for, the more likely you are to receive an award.