Teachers – Stay ahead of the curve
Earn CPDU credits through Black Hawk College both online and in the classroom.
Your profession is truly one that makes a difference in the lives of students. Black Hawk College’s Professional and Continuing Education (PaCE) department and the Rock Island County Regional Office of Education (RIROE) have partnered to offer a variety of classes to help you enhance your professional development. Enroll in any of the reasonably priced classes and earn CPDU credits through RIROE.
To obtain CPDUs for a chosen course, teachers need to contact Julie at the RIROE (309-736-1111) to inform her of their intent to obtain CPDUs. The RIROE fee for processing a CPDU Certificate is $25. One hour of course time = one CPDU. Most of the online courses require a minimum of 24 hours of contact with some variances. Hours of classroom courses vary.
Classroom computer skills classes:
Go to computer classroom for more information on day and evening classes:
- Windows Basics – three CPDUs
- Word (Level 1, 2 & 3 available) – six CPDUs (each)
- Time-Saving Tips for Word – three 3 CPDUs
- Excel (Level 1, 2, 3 & 4 available) – six CPDUs (each)
- Access (Level 1, 2 & 3 available) – six CPDUs (each)
- PowerPoint 2010 – six CPDUs
- Publisher 2010 – six CPDUs
- Adobe Photoshop Basics – 12 CPDUs
- Adobe Photoshop Elements Beyond Basics Workshop – 12 CPDUs
- Keyboarding – seven CPDUs
- Computer Basics – seven CPDUs
- Continuation of Computer Basics – seven CPDUs
- Windows 7 – seven CPDUs
- Windows 8 – seven CPDUs
- Introduction to Word 2010 – seven CPDUs
- Introduction to Excel 2010 – seven CPDUs
- Intermediate Excel 2010 – seven CPDUs
- iPad: Getting Started – one CPDUs
- iPad: Beginner – two CPDUs
- iPad: Intermediate – two CPDUs
Classroom language classes:
Go to the Language web page for more information:
- French I – Conversational – 16 CPDUs
- French II – Conversational (Part 1) – 12 CPDUs
- French II – Conversational (Part 2) – 8 CPDUs
- Italian I – 16 CPDUs
- Spanish I – 16 CPDUs
- German I – 16 CPDUs
- Chinese (Mandarin) – I – 16 CPDUs
- Beginning Sign Language (ASL) – 16 CPDUs
Register for the class at 309-796-8223 after receiving approval from RIROE.
For online classes:
Online Teacher Education
Visit the Online Teacher and Education page and choose from:
- Reading and Writing
- Test Prep
- Tools for Teachers
Online Computer classes
Visit the Online Teacher and Education page.
Here is a list of just some of the more than 60 outstanding Teacher Professional Development Online Courses offered:
Teaching Smarter with SMART Boards
Master the use of the SMART Board and SMART Notebook technology so you can create powerful interactive lessons that capture your students’ attention.
Teaching Successfully with Learning Disabled Students
Learn how to successfully meet the diverse needs of students with learning disabilities in your classroom.
Differentiated Instruction in the Classroom
Improve your ability to teach diverse learners with real-world examples from elementary, middle, and high school classrooms.
Creating the Inclusive Classroom: Strategies for Success
In this professional development course for teachers; you’ll get the training you need to reach the diverse mix of students you face every day–learning proven strategies that turn diversity into opportunity.
Ready, Set, Read!
A learning specialist shows you how to develop successful readers and writers.
Solving Classroom Discipline Problems
Veteran teacher reveals the secrets to an orderly classroom. This is a step-by-step approach to effective, positive discipline.
Creating K-12 Learning Materials
Increase student performance and earn extra income by converting your ideas for instructional aides into reality.
Survival Kit for New Teachers
Veteran instructor shares the secrets for success in your first years of teaching.
The Classroom Computer
Learn how to use the classroom computer to increase learning and motivate students.
Using the Internet in the Classroom
Discover how you can use the Internet to make teaching easier for you and more relevant to your students.
The Creative Classroom
Enrich your teaching talents and encourage your students’ creative thinking as you learn to turn your classroom into a creative classroom.
Integrating Technology in the Classroom
You will discover simple ways to integrate technology to enhance your subject material and meet your course goals.
Last updated 12/11/2013