Google Docs for Teachers
Instructor: D. Jecks
This class introduces teachers to the world of Google Docs, an online word processor, spreadsheet and presentation editor that allows you and your students to create, store, share, and collaborate on documents. You can use Google Docs to provide feedback to your students, follow their work on assignments, collaborate with your colleagues on shared materials, and publish handouts and presentations online for your students and their parents. Google Docs will help you and your students stay organized!
1 Thursday July 7 5:30 – 7:30 p.m.
CRN 50287 Outreach – Rm. 402 Fee $35
iPad for Teachers
Instructor: D. Jecks
Are you fully utilizing your iPad in your classroom? Do you know how to find apps to help teach in class? With an iPad, you can teach the same lesson to all of your students but in different ways. Create materials that are tailored to your lessons and your class. Discover how to make learning fun.
1 Thursday July 7 2-4 p.m.
CRN 50288 Outreach – Rm. 406 Fee $35
Teachers – Stay ahead of the curve
Earn PD Hours through the RIROE and Black Hawk College.
Your profession is truly one that makes a difference in the lives of students. Black Hawk College’s Professional and Continuing Education (PaCE) Department and the Rock Island County Regional Office of Education (RIROE) have partnered to offer a variety of classes to help you enhance your professional development.
To obtain PD Hours for a chosen course, teachers need to contact Julie at the RIROE (309-736-1111) to inform her of their intent to obtain PD Hours. The RIROE fee for processing a PD Hours Certificate is $25. One hour of course time = one PD Hour. Most of the online courses require a minimum of 24 hours of contact with some variances. Hours of classroom courses vary.
Classroom computer skills classes:
Go to the PaCE Technology web page for more information on day and evening classes:
- Windows – 3 PDs
- Word (Level 1, 2 & 3 available) – 6 PDs (each)
- Excel (Level 1, 2, & 3 available) – 7 PDs (each)
- Access (Part 1, 2 & 3 available) – 6 PDs (each)
- PowerPoint – 6 PDs
- Publisher – 6 PDs
- Adobe Photoshop Elements Basics – 12 PDs
- Beyond Photoshop Elements Basics – 12 PDs
- Computer Basics – 8 PDs
- Continuation of Computer Basics – 8 PDs
- Moving to Windows 10 – 3 PDs
- Introduction to Word – 8 PDs
- Intermediate Word – 8 PDs
- Introduction to Excel – 8 PDs
- Intermediate Excel – 8 PDs
- iPad: Getting Started – 6 PDs
- iPad: Beginner – 2 PDs
- iPad: Intermediate – 2 PDs
Online computer classes also available.
Classroom language classes:
Go to the Language web page for more information:
- French I – Conversational – 16 PDs
- French II – Conversational (Part 1) – 12 PDs
- French II – Conversational (Part 2) – 8 PDs
- Italian I – 16 PDs
- Spanish I – 16 PDs
- Basic Chinese – 16 PDs
- American Sign Language (ASL) Beginning – 16 PDs
- American Sign Language (ASL) Intermediate – 16 PDs
Register for the class at 309-796-8223 after receiving approval from RIROE.
For online classes:
Visit the Online Teaching and Education page and choose from:
- Classroom Computing
- Reading and Writing
- Test Prep
- Tools for Teachers
Here is a sample of just some of the more than 60 outstanding Teacher Professional Development Online Courses offered:
Classes begin the 3rd Wednesday of each month and take six weeks to complete. Here is a list of some of the over 60 Teacher Professional Development Online Courses offered:
- Ready, Set, Read!
- Teaching Writing: Grades K-3
- Solving Classroom Discipline Problems
- Differentiating K-12 Assessments
- Teaching Students with Learning Disabilities
- Using the Internet in the Classroom
- Teaching Math: Grades 4-6
- Guided Reading and Writing: Strategies for the Differentiated Classroom
- Creating the Inclusive Classroom: Strategies for Success
- Guided Reading and Writing: Strategies for Maximum Student Achievement
- Integrating Technology in the Classroom
- Spanish in the Classroom
- Survival Kit for New Teachers
- Teaching Smarter with SMART Boards