Last updated 3/28/2014
For more than 30 years, the Illinois Small Business Development Center (SBDC) at Black Hawk College has provided business counseling and support to entrepreneurs and existing businesses.
We provide businesses with the resources needed to solve business-related problems and take advantage of new opportunities. We have helped more than 200 companies obtain loans in excess of more than $40 million to start or expand their businesses, which have created or retained more than 3,400 jobs.
Mission: The Illinois Small Business Development Center at Black Hawk College provides free business counseling and low-cost training programs for existing and start-up businesses
- Guidance through business start-up steps, including license/permit issues, choosing legal structure, name registration, start-up financing and sales/income tax responsibilities.
- Training on how to write a business plan, with an emphasis on bank expectations.
- Critiques and suggestions on business plan content, financial projections and marketing plans.
- Analysis of feasibility of new business ideas.
- Low-cost marketing ideas.
- Referrals to area professional service providers and lending institutions.
- Complete analysis of past financial performance and comparison to industry benchmarks.
- Diagnosis of cash flow problems and recommended solutions.
- Marketing ideas, e-business strategies and general business advice.
- Facilitation of company strategic/growth planning processes.
- Information on federal, state and local loan programs for new and existing businesses.
- Guidance through the bank financing process and contact information for local lenders.
- Advice on structuring company debt and equity.
- Referrals to angel investment groups and venture capital firms.
- Free “Starting Your Business in Illinois” workshops every month.
- Half-day classes on marketing, human resources, finance, taxes,business planning and QuickBooks. Next starting date is May 3, 2014 and seating is limited so register now!
- Small Business Certificate Program — a series of eight half-day classes that educate the entrepreneur on the basics of starting and running a small business. Next starting date is September 20, 2014 and seating is limited so register now!
Contact us if you are interested in our services or have questions.
The Black Hawk College Illinois Small Business Development Center is partially funded by the U.S. Small Business Administration in partnership with the Illinois Department of Commerce and Economic Opportunity and Black Hawk College. We are supported by the Illinois Entrepreneur Network, Illinois Department of Commerce and Economic Opportunity and Black Hawk College.
The State of Illinois Department of Commerce and Economic Opportunity has received a grant to assist small businesses in Illinois to develop overseas markets for their products and services. STEP funding offers reimbursement to companies traveling to trade shows, attending trade missions, or looking to comply with foreign regulations with product compliance.
For more information visit http://exports.illinois.gov or contact Michelle Lewis, Director of International Trade Center at Black Hawk College 309-796-5713.