Production MIG Welding
This is a 140-hour Production MIG Welding class designed to train individuals on how to work as a welder in a production setting. The first 40 hours are dedicated to gases, symbols, blueprints, math and safety. The remaining 100 hours of class time are conducted in a weld lab area which involves hands-on experience with MIG welding and the demonstration of proper use of materials. While this is not a Deere & Company class, the curriculum of instruction has been approved by Deere. Anyone completing this program is considered “trainable” as a production MIG welder and should be seriously considered for employment. You must be in attendance and participate 95% of the time in order to receive a certificate from Black Hawk College.
Welding equipment required for Production MIG Welding:
Welding hood, welding jacket, safety glasses, MIG welding gloves (purchase three pairs), welding beanie, steel-toed shoes, MIG gun pliers (welpers – blue handle) and a padlock for your locker. Clothing must be free of tears and rips.
This is a 140-hour SMAW (Stick) and GTAW (TIG) class designed to train individuals on how to work in a welding environment. The first 40 hours are dedicated to classroom training which includes gases, symbols, blueprints, math, safety, different types of Stick rods, different types of Tungsten on how and when each type are used. The remaining 100 hours of class time are conducted in a weld lab area which involves hands-on experience with Stick/TIG welding and the demonstration of the proper use of materials. You must be in attendance and participate 95% of the time in order to receive a certificate from Black Hawk College.
Welding equipment required for Stick/TIG Welding:
Welding hood, welding jacket, safety glasses, Stick/MIG welding gloves (purchase 2 pair), TIG welding gloves (purchase 1 pair), welding beanie, steel-toed shoes, and a padlock for your locker. Clothing must be free of tears and rips.
- These programs are completely instructor-led, not independent study. Instructors are Red Johnson, Mark Helderman, Wally Long and Robert Clark.
- Attendance is taken daily and recorded for time in/out.
- A certificate of completion is earned from the college when participant’s attendance is 95% or better. A notation is added on your transcript as a permanent record of your learning as well.
As of June 1, 2015 – Cost for each class is $2,000 (class fee includes books)
($2,300 effective for the June 6)
*Equipment is purchased by the student.
Since these two programs are not college credit, they do not qualify for financial aid.
- Black Hawk College has a deferred payment plan for these classes. Call 309-796-5718 for more information.
- For Illinois Veterans Grant assistance, contact Stephanie Dixon at 309-796-5444 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Iowa dislocated workers or lower income levels, call Iowa @ Work at 563-336-3499.
- Illinois dislocated workers or lower income levels, call Partners in Job Training at 309-788-7587.
The classes are offered several times throughout the year. They meet Monday through Friday along with one or two Saturdays.
Class location for all classes is:
Industrial Training Lab Extension Center (ITLEC)
3901 25th Street
Moline, IL 61265
Listed below is the class schedule for (please note different times for each class):
2016 MIG – Stick/TIG Welding Class Schedule 140 hrs
Cost is $2,000 for each class (subject to change)
January 11, 2016 to February 17, 2016 MIG – Day Stick/TIG – Night
- (2) Saturday Classes – January 30, 2016 and February 6, 2016
- Graduation – February 18, 2016 (Thursday)
- 201601 – Mid-Date Refund Date – January 4, 2016
February 29, 2016 to April 6, 2016 Stick/TIG – Day MIG – Night
- (1) Saturday Class – March 12, 2016
- Graduation – April 7, 2016 (Thursday)
- 201601 – Mid-Date Refund Date – February 16, 2016
April 18, 2016 to May 25, 2016 MIG – Day Stick/TIG – Night
- NO Saturday Class
- Graduation – May 26, 2016 (Thursday)
- 201601 – Mid-Date Refund Date – April 4, 2016
June 6, 2016 to July 13, 2016 Stick/TIG – Day MIG – Night
- (1) Saturday Class – June 25, 2016
- Graduation – July 14, 2016 (Thursday)
- 201605 – Mid-Date Refund Date – May 23, 2016
TO REGISTER: Call 309-796-5718 or visit the Black Hawk College Illinois workNet Center at 4703 16th St., Suite G, Moline, IL. This class does not have online registration.*Classes are subject to change. Call 309-796-5718 to check on availability.
Without incurring obligation, Black Hawk College reserves the right to:
• Cancel classes due to insufficient enrollment.
• Change the time, date or place of meeting.
• Make other revisions in course offerings which become necessary.
• No refunds will be issued two (2) weeks prior to class start date and thereafter.
• Please note refund request deadline on class schedule.
Last updated 12/8/2015