In 1970, six community college athletic programs in northern Illinois created the Arrowhead Conference. Those institutions were Black Hawk College (Quad-Cities Campus and East Campus), Carl Sandburg College, Highland Community College, Kishwaukee College and Sauk Valley Community College. Illinois Valley Community College joined the Arrowhead Conference in 1999.
Currently, Arrowhead Conference has:
- Men’s golf, basketball and baseball
- Women’s volleyball, basketball and softball
Black Hawk College fields separate athletic teams for each campus. The East Campus (Warriors) has men’s basketball and women’s basketball and volleyball. The Quad-Cities Campus (Braves) has men’s baseball, basketball and golf and women’s basketball, softball and volleyball.
Arrowhead Conference has the following awards for student-athletes:
- Arrowhead Conference Award for the winning team after completing conference play,
- All-Conference Award for individuals who are voted by coaches for being outstanding athletes in their sport,
- All-Academic All-Conference Award for individuals who earn a 3.0 grade point average or higher during their two semesters of participation at their college,
- Bob Bopp Award for the most outstanding male and female student-athlete voted on by coaches at each college, and
- All-Sport Award for the most well-rounded conference program throughout each year of participation.