Last updated 8/7/2013Registration Checklist - printable version
Steps to Enrolling at Black Hawk College
Step 1: Submit an application
- Complete an online application.
- At the end of the application, prepare and sign up for placement testing.
Step 2: Apply for Financial Aid
- Complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at www.fafsa.ed.gov. Black Hawk College’s school code is 001638. For more information on types of aid, scholarships and how to apply, visit www.bhc.edu/financialaid.
Step 3: Receive Welcome Letter
- Receive Welcome Letter containing critical student identification information approximately two weeks after your online application is submitted.
- Log in to myBlackHawk using the instructions provided in the Welcome Letter
Step 4: Take Placement Test
- Obtain evidence of academic readiness (i.e., ACT scores or prior college coursework) or take an assessment at BHC of your skill levels in reading, writing, and math.
- Visit www.bhc.edu/compass to check session dates and schedule your placement testing (if you didn’t schedule previously).
Step 5: Complete Online Orientation
- New students must complete online orientation at www.bhc.edu/onlineorientation for an introduction of the BHC basics.
- At the end of the online orientation, sign up for your New Student Advising and Registration Session at www.bhc.edu/advising-events
Step 6: Attend a New Student Advising & Registration Session
- Advisors will assist with creating your first semester schedule.
- At the end of your session, sign up for Welcome Week Orientation at www.bhc.edu/orientation
Step 7: Register for Classes
- Login to myBlackHawk at http://myblackhawk.bhc.edu to register for classes.
Step 8: Pay for Classes
- Check payment options and due dates at www.bhc.edu/payment.
- Make an online payment through myBlackHawk at http://myblackhawk.bhc.edu
Step 9: Attend Welcome Week Orientation
- Get connected with students, faculty, and staff at BHC through informational and interactive activities including a campus tour.
- Visit www.bhc.edu/orientation for more information and orientation dates.
Step 10: Go to Campus Police and Bookstore
- Get your Student ID picture taken and purchase your parking pass in the Campus Police office. Visit http://www.bhc.edu/bhc-id-card to check out what your ID can do for you.
- Purchase your books and BHC gear at the Bookstore. Visit www.bhc.edu/bookstore for more information.
Step 11: Begin Classes
- The day is finally here! Don’t forget to arrive early to get your front row seat in your first class.
Step 12: Get Involved
- Stop by the Student Life Office to learn about all the different ways you can get involved at BHC! Visit www.bhc.edu/studentlife for more details.
Step 13: Sign Up for Educational Planning Session
- Once you’ve completed 2-4 weeks of your first semester, sign up to attend an Educational Planning Session with an Advisor in order to map out your long term plan and individualized goals. Visit www.bhc.edu/advising for more information.