1. Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
2. Register for at least 6 credit hours of classes.
3. Print your National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS) history.
4. Complete the Loan Repayment Calculation using your NSLDS total loan amounts
combined with the amount you want to borrow.
5. Complete LIFE SKILLS Lessons.
• Log in instructions.
• Different lessons for new or returning loan borrows.
First Time Loan Borrowers
8. Complete Entrance Counseling (Allow 30 minutes).
Have Borrowed at another College – First Time at Black Hawk College:
9. Add Black Hawk College to your Entrance Counseling.
• Click “Previously Completed Counseling”.
• Add BHC so Financial Aid Office can download your Entrance Counseling.
10. Request ALL prior college transcripts be sent to Black Hawk College Enrollment Services for evaluation.
• Complete Request to Evaluate Transcripts.
• This is needed to determine loan grade level and eligibility.
• BHC will process loans for Freshman or Sophomore level. If prior loan(s) balance is more than the maximum allowed for your grade level – a loan cannot be processed.
NOTE: Processing takes 2 weeks. Processing MAY take 3 or more weeks during peak registrations times in July, August, and January. Loans will be processed in order of receipt. You will receive a BHC email when your loan is complete or if additional information is needed to process your loan application.