Documents needed for FAFSA
For Dependent students, you will need information for yourself and your parents. For Independent students, you will need information for yourself and your spouse.
- Federal 1040, 1040A, or 1040EZ tax forms
- W-2 Forms
- Records of untaxed income earned
- Social Security Numbers and birth dates for:
- And/or spouse
- Month/Year your parents were married (Dependents only)
You can complete the FAFSA using estimates if you have not filed your tax forms. You will need to go back and correct your information once the taxes are filed. If you completed your taxes at least two weeks prior to completing the FAFSA, you will want to use the IRS Data Match option.
- Students in Unique Situations: Tips for Completing the FAFSA
- Tip Sheet for Undocumented Students
- Tip Sheet for Military and Veterans
Last updated 2/10/2015